October 18, 2017, 09:35:28 PM

Author Topic: Shot Distance  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
Shot Distance
« on: September 16, 2003, 02:44:03 PM »
You always hear people talking about the long shots that they've taken.   What's the SHORTEST shot that you've taken?  

Bow:  about 10 yds from the base of the tree that I had climbed.  (Makes for a narrow shot. hehe)  :wink:

Rifle:  sitting in my pop up blind - 300mag -  buck walks out about 25 yds in front of me.  I'm not sure if the lead put him down or the muzzle blast just burned a hole in him.   :roll:
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Shot Distance
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2003, 10:17:42 PM »
Shortest with a bow - right under my stand.  I was about 20-25' up the tree.

Shortest with a gun - about 10'.  Of course it was a muzzleloader!!!!!!  It was one of those, "POOF"  Dead Deer things!

Longest shot was 110 yds on a little doe that had blown at me the night before (paybacks are hell, aren't they!).
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Aussie Joe

Shot Distance
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2003, 11:56:42 PM »
My shortest shot was at a feral goat in New Zealand.  I was sitting next to a game trail and a young billy, one of about twenty in a mob walked up to me and just kept comming he got within 10' before I let him have it :twisted:    My longest was a Fallow Deer, the shot was at about 300yards across a gully, also in New Zealand. Iused a .303 rifle for both.
I'd rather be hunting.

Offline southern sun

• Rookie Club Member
Shot Distance
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 04:03:15 AM »
as we in illinois can't use hp rifles y'all got me beat for firepower(winmag at 10'. was there anything left?? how 'bout that billy. did you just pick up the horns and hooves and call it a day?  lol).

closest with bow was 15 yards

closest with 20g shotgun slug was about 10 yards

longest with an old smith and wesson full choke barrel 20g pump was about 80 yards
P.S.  I QUIT!  I'M GOIN' HUNTIN'!!

april

Shot Distance
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 02:44:20 PM »
Closest with a rifle..(300 mag)...I was in a stand, and he was kinda right under me.  Maybe 20 feet up there.  Don't recommend it.  Blowed his backbone away.
What was left was only suitable for stew meat, if'n ya get my point.

Offline southern sun

• Rookie Club Member
Shot Distance
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 11:00:00 PM »
shoot 'em in the neck!  :lol:  so much for backstraps, huh.  lol

april

Shot Distance
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 11:47:56 PM »
Lol...couldn't get a shot to his neck.  Was either his back, or his...tail? (you know..)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Shot Distance
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2003, 12:37:20 AM »
.Neck/head shots are the only way to go!  Of the last 16 deer I've gotten over the past 3 years, only 4 weren't neck/head shots!  The 4 that weren't were because of either wanting to have the head mounted or lack of time to aim (a.k.a. skiddish deer). :D

I've gotten old and lazy and don't like to chase them down anymore! 8)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline southern sun

• Rookie Club Member
Shot Distance
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2003, 12:42:17 AM »
i was taught the same thing. shoot 'em in the head when you can. no tracking, less effort. 8)

april

Shot Distance
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2003, 02:40:02 AM »
Aw, now now, boys.

Trackin's the best part.  I was raised to make a lethal shot....I prefer to blow their hearts right outta them.  But, us folks that live out in the sticks were raised to track em up.  I would normally never shoot a deer like I did that one....and haven't since...but fellows, I was a kid....had the fever. :twisted:

But, I prefer to track em up.  It's loads o' fun.

Facebook Comments