October 22, 2017, 10:46:07 PM

Author Topic: how far is too far with shotgun slug  (Read 2395 times)

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
how far is too far with shotgun slug
« on: January 08, 2007, 09:27:05 PM »
I shoot a marlin bolt action 12ga with rifled barrel and 2 3/4 federal barnes 1900 fps 3/4oz. copper slug it has a 21inch ported barrel and a 3by9 scope. I have it sighted in for 150 yards it's 4 1/2inches high at 50 yards 2 1/2 at 100 dead on at 150 about 10 inches low at 200 yards. is 200 yards to far for a slug gun I have cleanly taken deer at 175 yards with this combo.
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

travo

Re: how far is too far with shotgun slug
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 09:57:35 PM »
if you can make it work,go for it.probably limit yourself to standing,broadside shots,though. 200 yards is a long way for anything,no matter what the tragectory tables say.

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 08:37:48 AM »
I think 200 yards is probably pushing things a little bit.  However, is you are certain you could pull off the shot, which would result in a clean kill, take it.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 01:11:06 PM »
I'd consult some ballistics tables and figure out how much energy is left in the slug.  Then, use that to determine what is too far.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

BBF

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 04:33:30 PM »
 Seen on Wild TV recently. Fella shots a nice buck at less then 200 yards with his slug shooter. Deer falls down and is kicking his last. So we thought.
Deer gets up and takes off never to bee seen again. A real close look at the video shows the slug hitting the deer  on the chest Note "on" and bounces off. ??? Methinks that whatever the distance was, it was too far.  No info on the make of slug was given.

Offline APRock

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 11:51:04 PM »
I sight my slug gun in at 50 yards.  If I can't get within 50 yards of a deer, in the type of terrain I hunt, I will quit deer hunting.  If you are hunting land where you have to take 150 yard or longer shots, perhaps you should consider getting a smoke pole.

Your top shelf sabot rounds have balistics similar to the 45/70 Gov (Blackpowder).
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 01:05:47 AM »
where I hunt is mostly open feilds tall brown grass very little cover , crp feilds and I have a muzzel loader a pursuit 50 cal. so far most of my bucks haven't ran more than 50 yards so far.The slug is uauslly still in the deer because it opens up alot , it's the barnes bullet.1900fps.  want to try the hornady sst slugs at 2000 fps this year it's the same bullet I shoot in my muzzelloader.
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

Offline Eric Hazelip

• Gut Pile Guide
  • The force is strong with this one
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 01:49:02 AM »
I think that regardless of how far you can hit a paper target with a slug , anything out beyond 150 yds is pushing it for a slug gug.
All who resist will die

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 09:03:14 PM »
I think that regardless of how far you can hit a paper target with a slug , anything out beyond 150 yds is pushing it for a slug gug.

With the slugs of the old days, I would tend to agree with you.  But with todays advances in slugs and guns, 150 yds is entirely possible.  Again, I think the best thing to do would be to consult a ballistics table and figure up the amount of energy is left in the slug at different distances.  That will then give you your "killing range".
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 07:27:25 PM »
I killed a doe at over 150 yards using a Federal 2 3/4", shot through a 12 ga O/U. I was hunting in Henderson County, Ill, south of Oquawka on the bluff.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments