October 23, 2017, 12:22:58 AM

Author Topic: how far is too far with shotgun slug  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Blood_Trail

• Gut Pile Guide
Re: how far is too far with shotgun slug
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 11:57:09 AM »
Dude, 175 yards is really pushing it.I mean,you'llhave to hold 10 ft above him. :-\

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 12:13:47 PM »
Dude, 175 yards is really pushing it.I mean,you'llhave to hold 10 ft above him. :-\

Have you checked the ballistics on the new slugs these days?  Not trying to argue with you on this, but 100 yds is nothing for todays slugs and slug guns/barrels.  Another 75 yds isn't going to make that much difference when sighted in at 100.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Blood_Trail

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 10:32:07 PM »
Have you checked the ballistics on the new slugs these days?  Not trying to argue with you on this, but 100 yds is nothing for todays slugs and slug guns/barrels.  Another 75 yds isn't going to make that much difference when sighted in at 100.

Bro, I think 75 more yards will greatly affect the bullet/slug drop! That's why they have all those fancy range finding scopes out now.

Offline APRock

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 10:52:15 PM »
Looking at the ballistics tables that Federal puts out, and doing a little math (the tables only go to 120yds) your energy at 200yds would be down to around 925.  Given the diameter of 12 guage projectile, penetration would be crappy at best.
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 12:00:51 PM »
Bro, I think 75 more yards will greatly affect the bullet/slug drop! That's why they have all those fancy range finding scopes out now.

My point in it is that you won't have to hold 10 ft over the animal.  Looking on Federal's site, the drop out to 175 yds, with a 100 yd zero, looks to be around 10", which is about 9 ft short of the 10.  The energy is also up above 1000 ft lbs.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2007, 04:41:20 PM »
with the gun sighted in at 2 1/2 inches high at 100 yards  it has a dead on hold out to 150 yards and from 150 to 200 yards it only drops 10 inches the average vital area on a deer is about 8 3/4's inches so about 3 inches above it back and you have a dead deer. There a far cry from the old pumkin slugs most of us grew up with and the rifled barrel to spinnem good and the porting to help with recoil they still have the 1000 fps. of enegery at 200 yards ( thats what the old pumkin slugs had at 100 yards) The new sabot slugs are a very big up grade from the old days.Hornady has a new slug out with the same bullet you load in your muzzelloader and 2000 fps. thats 100 fps more than what i shoot now might try them ( but in all honesty a 30/30 with a 170 grain bullet is in the neighbor hood of 2,300 fps) and the 12 gauge  is shooting very close to that with the hornady round and it carries about another 130 grains more of weight.and with the areo denamic tip  probably will drop alittle less to
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

Facebook Comments