November 21, 2017, 08:48:46 AM

Author Topic: I got a 17hm2 and went on a rampage.. Thanks Big58...  (Read 1490 times)

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
I got a 17hm2 and went on a rampage.. Thanks Big58...
« on: January 13, 2007, 10:48:20 AM »
I have ended up with a really nice CZ 453 in 17hm2.  I was debating weather or not to keep it or trade it for the hmr, but after a conversation with big58 I decided to give the mach 2 a whirl... and I am sure glad I did.  I really like this gun!!!  It has a fully adjustable trigger that has no creep, but the best part is that it can also be used as a set trigger.  You can push the trigger forward until it clicks and then shoot it from there and the pull has got to be less than a pound and perfectly crisp.  Big58 said that he had heard these rifles were really accurate so I stopped and got some ammo and targets from cabelas on my way to western kansas.
I put a multi dot 3-12x44 scope on it and when I sighted it in a 100yards I was getting dime sized 5 shot groups!!! I couldn't believe it!  If I can get my camera to work I will post a pic of my target.
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
Re: I got a 17hm2 and went on a rampage.. Thanks Big58...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 10:49:35 AM »
Later that day I just happened to be sitting in my truck enjoying some lunch and looking out around me at the prairie dog town that stretched 500yards in all directions.  With my range finder in hand I scoped the ranges to the little terrorist’s hideouts and prepared to do battle.  I had been sitting there long enough that the dogs out past 200yrds were already out and the closer ones were just sticking their heads out to see what was going on.. 
Hee hee hee..YOU'RE ALL IN BIG TROUBLE NOW!!!

My first shot was a 53yard dog that was sitting on his burro on his haunches staring at me.  With the scope on 12x I placed the crosshairs between his eyes, touched the trigger and was amazed when in the scope I was able to see the back of his head go flying off across the prairie.  I was delighted to find that with such little recoil I was able to watch the aftermath of the 17gr V-max bullets!!  The war was on then as dogs went scurrying across the barren grounds of their town…  Some died tired, some died as they got to their hole…but the majority died when they came out to see if the coast was clear. 

My crowning achievement was a 204yard shot that took a dog in the chest as he sat perched atop his burro.  I had a multitude of  hits in the 150 to 170 range, but I was unable to connect with anything over 204 yards.  There seemed to be a gap and after the 200yrd mark were there were no targets until you got out to 320yrds… which proved to be too far for this Texan and his mach 2.

I shot up 100 rounds of  .17 ammo at the town and I was quite sad when I reached for the ammo box on the consul and found it empty.  I cased the CZ with a smile on my face and chuckled to myself as I looked at the dogs who thought they were safe since they were out past 320yards… 

I then popped the latches on the case with my 22-250 with the 18x scope, grabbed 40 rounds and went back to thinking…  YOU’RE ALL IN BIG TROUBLE NOW!
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 12:15:06 PM »
You will love that M2. I have the 452 American in M2. It is an excellent squirrel gun. I don't have access to pdogs but have taken ghogs out to 150 yds with it. I have a Savage Hmr that I like and have killed a boatload of g hogs and a few squirrels with. I like the Savage but it is just not in the same class as the CZ. I am not really in the market for a centerfire rifle at this time but if I was I would definitely take a look at the CZ line
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 01:34:19 PM »
Congratulations on your new very lethal toy, AB!  O0 What's nice is that you put it to good use. Congrats on that great deal you got on it, too! Plott told me about your deal of a century.  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 05:35:50 PM »
Course now I cant talk to him since he went to the other side shootin them bb guns.         but on the other hand on Saturday I went yote huntin with a .17hmr
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 05:45:21 PM »
Aren't they fun little guns!!!!! :twisted:  I've shot at squirrels and watched through the scope as a puff of hair would fly up as the bullet hit! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

You won't regret keeping the little gun, as it seems that it's made a lasting impression on you anyway! O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 02:58:35 AM »
Course now I cant talk to him since he went to the other side shootin them bb guns.         but on the other hand on Saturday I went yote huntin with a .17hmr
  O0 We know you just couldn't resist a .17, plott! How did you do, get some kills?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 04:44:44 AM »
i would love to see what the damage looked like on that 204yd shot. was it an all the way through shot?

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 09:05:24 AM »
I was unable to recover the 204 dog..  He was on top of his burro and upon impact fell over into his hole.  When they are standing up like that the hold over for a gun sighted in at 100 yards is exactly a dog hieght....makes a good referecne. 
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 11:14:02 AM »
That was one heck of a shot, AB!  O0 I'm not surprised, you know how to shoot, my 2 cents worth. That was a good day for anyone making that shot.  O0

Facebook Comments