November 18, 2017, 05:23:51 AM

Author Topic: turkey calls  (Read 1447 times)

travo

turkey calls
« on: January 28, 2007, 10:35:40 PM »
who uses what? ive got a few slates and a mouth call,but being fairly new to the turkey game,im lookin for an idiot proof call. any suggestions?

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
Re: turkey calls
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 10:41:39 PM »
Preston Pittman Calls work pretty well for us here in Pa.

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline SGT/USMC

• Rookie Club Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 06:05:55 AM »
Pick yourself up a box call.  They're good calls for beginners and most sound real good.  Also, get a few locator calls; crow call, owl call, pileated woodpecker call, coyote call, peacock call.  All of these work well to pull a shock gobble out of that big Tom, as long as that animal is home to the area your hunting.
MeanMarine1775

Offline Justin Gilmer

• Gut Pile Guide
  • I love animals.... They're delicious!!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 10:34:55 AM »
Push button calls work well and are extremely easy to operate.  If you are just beginning you should get one and a box call as well.  I have an owl hooter and a coyote howler for locator calls.
Don't feel bad.....  We can't all be #1.

Offline BigStrutter

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 05:34:42 PM »
I am a Primos fan but I do not like how their mouth calls fit. I always use my power crystal or alumislate when calling to a bird. I really only use a mouth call when running and gunning trying to cut and shock gobble one, and then again when I cut to make him stretch his neck for his introduction into my "fan" club.  You can't go wrong with a push botton for simplicity, and you can get the one that attatched to your forend for when ole tom is in close.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 08:13:55 PM »
Yep, what they said. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 11:25:36 PM »
Go slate amigo and you'll be able to learn quickly and easily the most important calls. Yelps, Purrs and Clucks.

My favorite is one that's from a now defunct company in Alabama. Pen Woods and Primos makes good ones though.

Try them out at your local store and buy yourself a video with some calling on it and go from there.

Calling a turkey is like calling a duck. Less is more!
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments