November 19, 2017, 07:31:05 AM

Author Topic: talkin turkey  (Read 2675 times)

travo

talkin turkey
« on: January 31, 2007, 10:26:10 PM »
ok,lets hear about everyones turkey gear setup! what vest,calls,seats,blinds,etc does everyone use? bow or shotgun? loads? im gettin spring fever!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: talkin turkey
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 10:30:44 PM »
I've got a NWTF vest and use a Remington 870 Express Magnum with 3" Federal #4 shot turkey loads.  The calls I've got..............I can't remember the names of them all, but I've got an old Perfection glass call and Lynch Fool Proof box.  The mouth calls vary from HS to Quaker Boy to Knight and Hale.  I've also got some Feather Flex decoys that I use on occassion.  Don't use a seat or blind......................................RUN & GUN!!!!!!!!!!! O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline SGT/USMC

• Rookie Club Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 09:07:01 AM »
I've got a real basic set-up for a vest (needs upgrading soon), Remington 870 Super Mag SPS-T in mossy oak with a 1.75-4x32mm bushnell.  I have see through rings on it so I can use the magnum gobble dot tru-glo fiber optic sights if the scope gets fogged.  I have a Kicks Gobblin Thunder .665 ported choke and shoot 3 1/2 ", 2 oz. #5 buffered, nickel plated hand loads.  I put a mercury filled recoil reducer in the butt stock to help reduce recoil.  I have a padded comb raiser to get better line of sight through the scope and helps to have a tighter shooting position (less abuse on the cheek during recoil).  I have a heavy metal glass friction call with a 1/2 dozen pegs.  An all weather box call and a few Quaker boy and H.S. Strut diaphrams.  I have recently started using Woodhaven diaphram calls (very pricy), but the difference in ease of use and realism is amazing.  I have a few locator calls that I use; owl, crow, peacock, pileated woodpecker, and coyote.  I have a real head jake and hen decoy; they sealed the deal on my Tom I bagged last year.  I picked up a small portable seat, but I think it might be more of a hinderance when moving.  I don't use a blind, I just rely on good camo, position, stillness, and a quite a bit of luck.  Here in South Carolina, in the game zone I'm in the season starts March 15.  I've been looking forward to this season more than any other in the past.  Good luck and huntin. O0 
MeanMarine1775

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 05:29:34 PM »
Primos gobbler getter' vest
Primos power crystal call----this is my money call
Knight and Hale chuck's killer v III mouth call and assorted H.S. Strut mouth calls.
Primos power crow locator
Owl hoot with my mouth
No blind
3 decoy set, submissive jake, standing hen, and feeding hen
Remington 870 3 1/2 mag. with Winchester Supreme's #4 with a super full remchoke has proved itself otu to 50 yards.
That is about it, going to give a company a chance this year called devastator calls.

Good luck to everybody

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline Tophat

• Got bullets?
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 08:31:44 PM »

That is about it, going to give a company a chance this year called devastator calls.

Good luck to everybody

Ned

Hey, let me know how their calls are....I heard someone talking about them but I want to get some other opinions.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 11:54:20 PM »
Forgot about the locator calls.  I've got a piliated 'pecker call, 2 crow calls, and 1 barred owl call that I carry with me most of the time.  I've also got a coyote howler, another barred owl call and a hoot owl call that I sometimes break out if they aren't answering the others.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 11:33:27 PM »
You're 835 will more than do the job. Decide if you want 3" or 3 1/2", they both work. Tight chokes are best and pattern your shot by getting some turkey head/neck targets and see how it looks at 40-45 yards. #4, #5 and #6 will be probably be your best bet.

Camo is up to you. I prefer the old trebark in black and grey because I blend into shadows better.

Turkeys see real well but your movement is what you need to be concerned with. Stay still. Kill a turkey.

I don't wear one of those new vests, I still wear my old LBE(load bearing equipment) from my days with Uncle Sam, but Primos makes a nice vest.

If they allow rifles in South Dakota, consider a .222 or a .22 Hornet(btw)

Slate calls are your best bet imho. Easy to use and make the best of the most important calls. (yelps, clucks, purrs)

Get a couple of videos listen to them and and practice.

It's better to be good with one call than fair with several.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 11:35:17 PM by bohica »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

travo

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 11:57:25 AM »
i use a bow for turkey. any advice? the stayin still gets thrown out the window when ya gotta draw a bow.

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 08:18:02 PM »
BOW= BLIND
Use a blind whenever possible when bow hunting turkey's, unless you are a die hard arrow slinger like ole Tred Barta.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

travo

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 08:44:08 PM »
thanx man, so far, ive got a hen and mountin' jake decoy(they make a nice yard ornament) i also got a h.s. slate call, and a couple of thunderdome mouth calls. ive got a doghouse ground blind, and a crow locator call. any advice on vests? ive got a great fanny pack system by redhead, maybe should stay with that so the vest pockets dont get in the way of the bow? good luck guys, and let me know any updates on the upcoming season. my season starts in april.

Facebook Comments