October 24, 2017, 01:56:16 AM

Author Topic: muzzleloader shotguns  (Read 1225 times)

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
muzzleloader shotguns
« on: February 06, 2007, 10:38:08 PM »
A freind of mine uses a muzzleloader shotgun for turkeys and small game says it patterens better than a shotgun is there any truth to this
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

travo

Re: muzzleloader shotguns
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 11:05:54 PM »
patterns better than which shotgun? his own? i used a muzzleloading shotgun exclusively for one whole season. yep, it killed stuff, but gettin a consistent load is a bugger. you can measure shot, charge, everything, but if it aint packed the same, if the same amount of fouling aint in the barrel, even temperature can screw with a muzzleloading shotgun. and the lock time is extremely slow, so ya gotta lead birds by a mile or have a sustained lead and exquisite form to make it work. it is a good challenge, but nothin like a modern gun. put it up against a Nova with briley choke tubes and see what happens. also, ya didnt mention yardage on the pattern. as far as having an advantage, muzzleloadin shotguns have none. and that is half the fun.

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 12:12:31 AM »
he shoots 30 yards and says it patterens better than his mossberge
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

travo

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 11:02:14 AM »
probably with a certain round and a certain choke it does. some shotguns will throw great patterns with a mod choke and deuces, some not worth a crap with the same load. switchin shot size and chokes always cure this problem up. some guns from the same manufacturer and same choke shoot different patterns at the same yardage. just gotta dink around, shootin bedsheets and find out which one your gun likes.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 11:41:05 AM »
What kind of ML shotgun did you have travo?  Also, if you've still got it, would you be willing to part with it? ??? :wink:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

travo

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 11:56:03 AM »
i had a pedersoli, a very nice gun. got rid of it already cuz if ya switch from one gun to the other, it really screws up yer lead. if yer lookin for one, i would really suggest it though. got mine from cabelas. plan on using only that one gun or missin,though.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 01:34:20 PM »
I want one to turkey hunt with. :D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

travo

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 02:33:46 PM »
hey,now,there is a good idea.no swing or follw thrugh! yep,that'd be cool.

Facebook Comments