October 23, 2017, 10:24:26 PM

Author Topic: new tent  (Read 8228 times)

travo

new tent
« on: February 07, 2007, 12:18:38 PM »
just picked up a new tent for $12 on a closeout. it is a wensel sport dome tent that measures 6x5 anyone got one of these?

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
Re: new tent
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 01:01:17 PM »
Nope, but we sell a ton of them at Gander Mtn.; Inexpensive and Functional.

I personally have Two Eureka Tents.  I have one of their 11'-6" Square Family Dome Tents and One 3 Season, 4-Person Dome.  I also have an old Academy Broadway, 4 Season, 2 Man Dome Tent.  Unfortunately, none of them have seen much action in the past few years.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

travo

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 02:40:26 PM »
are they rugged enough for a true wilderness trip,or is it more of a rent-your-campsite type of thing?

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 03:32:02 PM »
Dude, like for the price, like use it, like till it, like ya' know like, dies. ;D

Seriously though, for $12.00 you cant go wrong, even if you kill it after a few trips.  In my opinion, they are more intended for the established camp site routine.  If you are truely going to use it hard, you can extend the life by using a ground cloth underneath it and keep exposure to sunlight at a minimum.  Also, make sure you seal the seams, even if the package says they are sealed, do it again.  Trust me.  Furthermore, make sure to carry a roll of quality duct tape to make repairs; needle and thread wouldn't hurt either.

If you are going to be in the field for weeks at a time, far from the so called civilized world, you owe it to yourself to buy a quality Three (3) Season Tent.  Then again, if you are up North a ways, you might be better served with a Four (4) Season Tent.

The main things you will gain, switching to a high quality tent, are small package size, typicaly lighter carry weights, abrasion resistance, thicker nylon, fully taped seams, superior poles, stonger two way zippers, built in clips for clothes lines and lanterns, double or triple stiched panel joints, and a host of other little things that add to overall ease of use and creature comforts.

Here are some links to high quality Tents, the first links are to 3 Season Models and the second links are to 4 Season Models, by manufacturer.  Some of the prices are a tad on the scary side, but after you look at all the specs, you begin to understand why.

The North Face:

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?site=NA&model=AJ5H

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?site=NA&model=AJ5E

Eureka! Tent Company:

http://www.eurekatent.com/wabakimi.asp

http://www.eurekatent.com/alpenlitext.asp

Marmot Tents:

http://marmot.com/products/product.php?cat=tents&subcat=17&style_id=I2731

http://marmot.com/products/product.php?cat=tents&subcat=62&style_id=I2750

Kelty Outdoors:

http://www.kelty.com/kelty/index.cfm?cid=412&fuseaction=Tents.ShowProduct&type=tents&ID=72

http://www.kelty.com/kelty/index.cfm?cid=412&fuseaction=Tents.ShowProduct&type=tents&ID=53

By the way, I listed the manufacturers by my own personal preference, best at the top of the list.  Point is, you can't go wrong with any of the tents listed above.  I also chose the links to the tents I would prefer, but there are several other models in each category.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 03:36:02 PM by Mad River »
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 11:02:18 PM »
great info mad. it puts getting a tent in more of a "what you really need" perspective

Offline brad6841

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • Screw your canoe....it's Drift Boat Season
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 07:58:17 AM »
Well said cuz'.....all very usefull info.... O0

I personally have this tent

It is a 3 season and was fairly inexpensive.  I've had it for close to probably 10 years and have had no issues with it.  I like it because it has a very large rain fly that when in bad weather you can still have the windows partially open for ventilation.

The tents that Mad pointed out are the 'cream of the crop'.....especially the tents by The North Face.  Those tents are, most times, the only type of tents you will see when watching extreme mountian expeditions.  K2, Everest, etc.  They are built to perform.  But will the every day user need one, most times No.  But I'm pretty sure that in any case it would probably never let you down.... O0
"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream.....merrily....merrily....merrily....merrily....life is but a dream"

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 08:51:38 AM »
I personally have this tent

Interesting, I have the same one, but the next size up; The Sunrise 11. O0  Great family tent.  If I am not mistaken, mine is a green and gray.

Did you get yours from Campmor or the Eureka! Outlet?  That outlet store of theirs is totally awesome.  Most of the tents are "Factory Repaired" and the prices are usually 75 to 85 percent off retail.  I saved a ton of money on the two I got their.

Offline brad6841

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • Screw your canoe....it's Drift Boat Season
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 11:31:42 AM »
Yeah mine is green and grey also.....I think they changed the colors a few years ago..... ???

I got mine from Campor back when I was in high school, I got it as a Christmas gift.  Plus when I got it I don't think it was $179 like it is on Campmor now. 

Speaking of the Campmor outlet, that is where my dad (and I believe your dad) got his old Eureka!.  He had it for probably 15 years and this past year the zipper on the door broke so he got this new North Face.  I have yet to see it assembled, he said it's nice and pretty roomy, buy he and I both agreed that we don't like the fact that it's not free standing.  You have to have the main poles staked or it falls down.

I would like to get a small 2 or 3 person backpacking tent to use on extended canoe trips, mountain biking trips, or if I ever decided to go back packing...... O0
"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream.....merrily....merrily....merrily....merrily....life is but a dream"

travo

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 01:06:14 AM »
wow. just ask for a little info............. this tent will be used in the late spring/early summer. gonna take 6 year old Hunter out and show him how to be a man.

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 08:27:45 AM »
wow. just ask for a little info............. this tent will be used in the late spring/early summer. gonna take 6 year old Hunter out and show him how to be a man.

Sorry, when you said "Rugged Enough for a True Wilderness Trip" I though you meant several weeks in the deep woods with no human contact.

Facebook Comments