December 14, 2017, 09:57:19 AM

Author Topic: AtL-Atl  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Tenderfoot

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • John Andrews is my hero
AtL-Atl
« on: February 10, 2007, 07:55:15 PM »
What do you guys know about atl-atl hunting? Anybody got any tips or strategies on how not to be seen while casting your darts(specifically at deer)? Just wondering what ya'll know. I think it's legal to hunt deer in Alabama with them. Also, anybody have any suggestions on possible regulations needed if I were to try to legalize them in Florida? In the hands of a master they are profiecient killers, but in the hands of a novice every deer will be merely wounded(I can gaurantee that). So what laws could be established to keep irrisponsible jerks from using atl-atls? I think I will be able to legalize it within a few seasons, judging by gov.  Crist's record in office so far. That guy will do anything in the name of apeasment. (Now, remember guys, everbody can be happy!) With that attitude of his, I just have to get to him quietly without the PETA finding out about my bill.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Re: AtL-Atl
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 10:49:56 PM »
Oh waiter??!!

Check please! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 11:37:53 PM »
In the hands of a master they are profiecient killers, but in the hands of a novice every deer will be merely wounded(I can gaurantee that).

That is any kind of hunting!  If you try to exclude people, you're going to be shooting your campaign to get it legalized in the foot.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 02:45:23 AM »
I doubt you'll find many atlatl users to ralley behind you to get it past legislation. You might want to look into who actually writes the game laws. Here in Missouri the conservation Dept runs itself, and for the most part doesn't answer to anyone except the public. Funded almost entirely by fees and ruddmann act money they can and have told the Govenor to bugger off.
 Also check the game laws. Some states have primitive weapons season laws that allow most anything but firearms. They may already be leagal. The game agency may define them as a bow.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

travo

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 12:43:35 PM »
i think it is cool. more power to ya. they are capable of cleanly killin anything, as well as woundin, just like a bow or gun in the hands of any idiot. more power to ya.

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 05:21:06 PM »
Yeah... I suppose a 30-06 can be just as bad as an atl-atl in the hands of an incompetent.  Modifying my plan. I now plan to get it generally legalized and know that anybody who would bother having the patience to hunt with the thing isn't gunna be stickin deer in the flank left and right. Yeah, I wrote the FWC(Florida Wildlife Commision) and they said that spears in general were legal for non-game animals during any season(bow or gun). But I ask, who wants to hunt possum when you could get a nice big buck? About our wildlife commision, they are also self run...I was just making a satirical point about our sailing governor(Goes whichever way the winds blow).

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 08:53:12 PM »
Just to be on the safe side, since an Atl-Atl throws a "dart" and not a "spear", the language may need to be cleared up.  Hate to see anyone get ticketed for something like this.  Have you checked with some of the other states that allow their use to see how the wording on their bills/regualtions are?  These other states could probably give you more useful information as to what all it would take to get it legalized down there. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

travo

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 11:07:01 PM »
just remember, a dart or arrow kills by severing arteries, not by shock, so make sure them heads are good and sharp. no reason it wont kill clean.

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 04:14:51 PM »
Travo, I fully understand the ramifications of not having sharp enough heads(Took me two days to find a deer that ran further than expected whith a dull arrow resting shallow in his side.). Good point. Cal 58, you also brought up a good point about checking the wording in the books- when I wrote the FWC I specifically asked about darts and spears- to which they said both were fine for non-game critters. I shall research Alabama (know any other states where the atlatl is legal?) law regarding it, though.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 07:44:40 PM »
I know there's an Atl-Atl association, but I don't know where it's located at (home state).  Do a search on the net and see what you can come up with.  The Atl-Atl assoc. will know all of the states/provinces and areas where they are legal. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments