November 20, 2017, 04:27:34 AM

Author Topic: open or closed hand?  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Smokey41

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
open or closed hand?
« on: June 16, 2004, 10:04:01 PM »
ok, I got some nock points, and my shot group has gotten smaller, but new problem. The hand that you hold the bow with, is it closed or open (barely holding the bow) when you shoot?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
open or closed hand?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 08:29:08 PM »
Get a sling for your bow.  What this is, is a strap that goes around the riser of the bow (handle) or attaches onto the stabilizer tap.  The larger strap goes around the back of your hand (you slip your hand in it and then grab the bow.  What the sling allows you to do is to not grip the bow when you shoot, but keeps the bow from flying out of your hand.  Just cradle the bow in your hand, and practice not grabbing it when you shoot.

To answer your question, open handed is best.  When you draw, don't hold the bow.  Let it cradle basically on the meaty part of your hand where your thumb is (your hand turned side-ways).  Here's two things you can do to see the benefits.  Hold your arm straight out, with the palm of your hand to the side.  Look at how far your forearm sticks out.  Now, turn your hand so that your palm is down.  Notice how it moved your forearm out of the way?  This keeps you from hitting your arm/arm guard.  Here's one for why you need to keep an open grip while shooting.  Hold your bow straight out, loosly holding the bow.  Now quickly grip the bow.  Did you see how the bow moved?  That translates into the arrow going off course when you shoot.

Hope this helps!!! :D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline ARMallardSlayer

• Dirt Trackin in the ArkLaTex
open or closed hand?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 05:45:19 PM »
I shoot with an open hand............
"Live Like You Were Dying"

Offline Cracker11

• Gut Pile Club Member
open or closed hand?
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 07:13:00 PM »
8) What BC said !
Not Just Another Cracker !

Offline buckeyebuck

open or closed hand?
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 01:19:50 AM »
BC definately knows what he's talking about, what kind of bow do you shoot BC? Do you shoot any tournaments?  I shoot a few local tournaments every year.
we don't hunt to live, we live to hunt

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
open or closed hand?
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2004, 08:46:14 AM »
I used to be really active, going to at least 1 shoot each week.  A shoulder and elbow injury has kept me from shooting much the past few years.  I've gotten the elbow taken care of, but it looks like the shoulder is going to need surgery to fix it.  :cry:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline Cracker11

• Gut Pile Club Member
open or closed hand?
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 08:15:17 PM »
:cry: Sorry to hear that BC,don`t know what I`d do if I couldn`t Bow Hunt.  Look`s like I`ll be takeing my John-Boat  to my Hunting Area.....LOL, with all this rain we`ve been getting off of these Hurricane`s,the Wildlife Management Area{Public Land} I hunt should be under water by now....Ain`t that a kick in the pant`s------Bow-Season start`s here next week-end,right behind Ivan !
Not Just Another Cracker !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
open or closed hand?
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 09:15:45 PM »
Scout around for any high areas at all.  With most of the land being flooded, the deer will be concentrated on any dry ground they can find!  Our bow season opened Sept. 4.  I have yet to go bowhunting.  Looks like this year is a bust as far a bowhunting! :cry:   Hopefully, I'll be at them next year on opening day!

Hope things dry out for you a little bit down there!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline john

open or closed hand?
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 04:42:52 PM »
a nice relaxed grip,the bow should float in your hand,only a littlecurlin your finger to catch it so it doesn't go flying.no tension in your bowhand

Facebook Comments