October 18, 2017, 10:42:47 AM

Author Topic: Broadhead`s.  (Read 5367 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Broadhead`s.
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2003, 12:40:43 PM »
I was watching a bow antelope hunt on TV recently, and saw a drawback of the mechanical heads. The fellow shot at an antelope, and the shot went really wild. It was captured on film, and was rerun for the benefit of the watchers. In slow motion you could see one of the blades pop out prematurely, sending the arrow on a wild flight. The arrow stuck in the mud in front of the animal's face, spooking it, of course. I like the way the blades work when they work, but to me, it could be a blown shot of a lifetime. :roll:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline propredator

Broadhead`s.
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2003, 12:26:34 AM »
Yep if a blade pops open they wont fly straight,found that out on a doe when i grazed a small tree branch this year.Did a nose dive 10 foot in front of her.Also bows that acually shoot at over 300fps can cause them to pop open.I am told that a steep angle shot from a stand can cause one blade to open and cause erratic and poor penatration.
 A budy of mine has talked me into trying some fixed solid 2 blade heads next year.Have to see what kind of flight i get out of them on a target before i try em on a live deer,aint sure what brand im gonna try yet but thats a long ways off for me,my muzzle loader season starts monday and its gonna be smokepole time.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
Broadhead`s.
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2003, 10:59:10 AM »
Propredator, if you are interested in hunting the IAAAP at Middletown, let me know. Maybe you already are.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline propredator

Broadhead`s.
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2003, 10:08:13 PM »
John im not sure what the letters mean,some thing to do with Iowa and archery im guessen?
 I dont travel much,and my hunting adventures are usally in Keouk county.
 Good to see a fellow Iowan here :D

Offline propredator

Broadhead`s.
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2003, 10:10:48 PM »
That was Keokuk county,guess you can see what a backwoods hick i am :wink:

Offline ARMallardSlayer

• Dirt Trackin in the ArkLaTex
Broadhead`s.
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2004, 12:21:38 AM »
I use the Muzzy 100 grain 3 blades and have no problems with them.

Until I do, they will be my broadhead of choice.
"Live Like You Were Dying"

Offline john

broadheads
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2004, 09:15:58 AM »
used the thunderhead 125 for years,loved them. i've gone back to good old bear razor heads though.they have never failed me and just seem right comming out of my longbow. the one thing i do is file the tip so its a bit more of a chisel point,maybe an 1/8 of an inch wide.seems to help when you hit bone.the tip isn't so delicate then.

travo

Broadhead`s.
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2005, 09:09:58 PM »
i have had bad experiences with expandables. especially the ones with the leading single blade. i shot 2 coons multiple times(2 or 3 arrows apiece, and the leading blade bent over on impact,greatly reducing penetration.i went to using solid one piece broadhead like muzzys

Offline john

Broadhead`s.
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2005, 09:00:07 AM »
i like ,,, in order,  zwicky, magnum, muzzy, beer razorheads.
that being said the aussies make some great heads, and i recently saw a german one that was really goodlooking,,,but stupid expensive!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
Broadhead`s.
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2005, 01:56:24 AM »
Thanks, propredator! When I saw your SE Iowa, I knew you couldn't be far away, 45 miles. The IAAAP is an Army owned installation 9 miles west of here, 19000 acres. They open the hunt/fish program for some new applicants once in a while. When they do it again, I will post it here. We have hunters traveling 100 miles ( one way) to hunt our installation. Hey, it's sure nice to have you here, Propredator!

Facebook Comments