October 22, 2017, 10:43:34 PM

Author Topic: Broadhead`s.  (Read 5372 times)

Squirrelhunter91

Broadhead`s.
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2005, 08:50:24 PM »
Look for them here: www.broadheadtests.com

This site does not sell them, but the guy tests them out and reports their performance. He goes by the name of 5shot on HuntingNet.

Joe

I want to shoot them in 85 grain...

Offline john

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Broadhead`s.
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2005, 09:28:16 AM »
i used to use thnderhead 125, i've gone back to zwicky's two blades and can't really find anything wrong with them. the deer seem to die just as fast.

Offline buckman

Re: Broadhead`s.
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2005, 10:31:25 PM »
 hi , I have never heard of a trad shooter using expandables ,  I hunt with satalite titans and they are great , I have thought about useing a expandable called a guillotine  they have a 4inch cutting area , not sure I could hit a turkey in the head at 15 yards but it would be either a hit or a miss that is for sure ,has anyone tried them ?? ,the montec's you asked about are availible at bass pro shops and are very pricey .good shooting with  witchever head you use

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2005, 01:27:12 AM »
Thanks, same to ya, Prop! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline lungbuster

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2005, 10:51:51 PM »
       I use 100grn spitfires. love them, wouldnt trade em four nothing. The
whole thing with mechanicals is, ur draw weight. i shoot hoyt xt2000,awesome
bow and speed, got my draw at 63 pounds. Any heavier and i loose accuracy.
Stick a deer with em one time, ull never go back!

Offline DblArrow

• Double Arrow Bow Hunting
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2005, 02:51:30 PM »
I get to see a lot of different broadheads work and fail.  I'm a hunting guide and all I do is cater to bow hunters.  I will say for certain that regardless of what you use, SHOT PLACEMENT is more critical that the type of broadhead you are using.

Now, for the broadheads that I have seen in the past few years and that are the most common and I have not seen any hunters have the least amount of problems with are, and in this order, Montec G5, Magnus Stingers, Muzzy, and Thunderheads.  I believe this because I see these heads perform on everything from African game to Elk to Hogs, to Whitetails and various other exotics.

I personally don't like mechanicals but that doesn't mean much.  Choose broadheads like you choose your bow.  Its takes field success to prove how good your broahead really is.  I personally like the Montec by G5 in the 100 grain.  Then I like the Magnus Stingers for hogs and Elk.  The Magnus was tricky for me to tune but the Montec is very simple.  Just screw the broadhead on and it flies exactly like my field points do every time.  The only thing I don't like about the Montec is it's hard to sharpen without using a good piece of leather to get that scary sharp edge.  The Muzzy and Thunderheads are about a tie in my opinion but I think see more of the Muzzy's because they are a bit cheaper.

What I don't like about mechanicals are that they limit my shot.  Once you have seen one of them open up on the side of an animal and make a rip or tear of just the hide and hit a rib cage and never get a vital, you won't use one again.  Shot placement with a mechanical is more critical than with a cut on contact broadhead.  I feel that I have seen some hunters take shots where a broadhead would have entered better and done the job right.  The mechanicals need to be shot at a good poundage.  I know rocket  suggest that you shoot at least 260 fps in order for their head to work properly.  Broadside shots and slightly quartering these things are not a problem.  I have seen plenty of them shot into a foam target with paper on the outside of the target.  You can tell the blades opened up before entering by visually inspecting the paper after the shot.  There will be tears where the broadhead opened up befoer entering. 

There was a hunter that hunted a white fallow deer with me last September with a Rocket Hammerhead, 100gr.  22 yard shot with a Mathews LX bow.  The animal was quartering away.  When he shot he had a good hit but the arrow never penetrated.  We found no blood to trail it and found the animal sick and dying 3 days later.  We finished it off and he got his game but we never recovered the arrow.  Back in April of this year he came back to hunt with me again and shot an Axis deer at 33 yards with a Montec 100 grain on the same bow.  Different animal but it was quartering the same way the fallow was.  The Montec did the job and exited out the opposite side making one hell of a blood trail.  The Axis was a 4 1/2 year old with 30" main beams.

When he came to hunt with me the second time he told me that he had contacted Rocket about the problem and they said they had never heard of anything like that happening with their arrowheads.  I know what I saw and I can tell you I wouldn't use their broadheads even if you paid me!

Facebook Comments