November 22, 2017, 08:37:32 PM

Author Topic: Aluminum arrows vs carbon  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Smokey41

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
Aluminum arrows vs carbon
« on: June 20, 2004, 12:54:47 AM »
Ok, I got my shot group a consistant 6 inch diameter at 20 yards. I have been using aluminum arrows with bullet tips and broadheads. I bought some carbon arrows on ebay. I tried them with bullet tips then broad blades at 20 yards. I figured with the carbons being lighter, they would hit higher, but they all hit about 6 inches lower at 20 yards. Left and right is good, but it is a big drop for 20 yards. Is this normal? No big deal really, just some site adjustment, but struck me as weird.

Aluminum arrows with bullet tips or broadheads are hitting right on target. No site adjustment.
Carbons are hitting in the same place using both type of tips with no site adjustment between both types of tips, but lower than the aluminum.

by the way, the broadheads on the carbons went clean through my target which I made, it is a double layer of thick rubber matting, then 2 inches of dense foam rubber, then 4 inches of densely compressed styrofoam, then 2 more inches of dense foam rubber and two more layers of thick rubber matting and then.....clean through a 1/2in. piece of plywood that I use as a back drop and stuck into the plywood wall of my shed....LOL.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 09:49:18 PM »
I noticed the drop at 20 yds with carbon arrows as well, smokey.  I chalked it up to the smaller diameter of the carbons which made them ride lower in my arrow rest. On out past 30 yards though, the carbons started catching up to the aluminums due to their lower weight and higher velocity. Looks like you're seeing higher arrow speed as well, since you're going through your target. It sounds like by the time bow season rolls  around, you're going to be more than ready to climb into a tree stand 8)
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Smokey41

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 10:05:12 PM »
I tightened the bow a bit yesterday, and drawing it now with no problems at all. all this practice is definately developing the proper string pulling muscles.

Offline Cracker11

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 07:19:15 PM »
8) What Poundage do you have your Bow set at?
Not Just Another Cracker !

Offline john

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 04:46:50 PM »
the diameter is different,you have to adjust your knock point. also keep working on that target,6 inches isn't tight enough,but you'll get there.

Facebook Comments