November 22, 2017, 04:20:30 AM

Author Topic: duck mounts  (Read 1923 times)

travo

duck mounts
« on: April 05, 2007, 07:28:21 PM »
heres a few of my trophies.

travo

Re: duck mounts
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 09:15:50 PM »
the mallards i got just north of here, in a little shallow swamp on cold, snotty days exactly one year apart. got the drake first as a massive migration was movin down from the north in november of 2004. it was my first experience with heavy shot, and he was kind of a long shot on a slow day, at first anyhow. the wind picked up, and the ducks came sailin in on a string, no circling or anything. a year to the day later, i had the hen come in fast and low over the water. i was in the same blind, and she dropped in the same spot the drake did. the taxidermist thinks she may have a little black duck in her. limited out that day, too, mostly wigeons and gads. in fact, the day i got the hen, 3 of us limited in 27 minutes.that was a crazy day.

the redhead i got last year on island lake. the divers were in, and 5 of us were out on the big island shootin canvasback, ringnecks, bluebills, buffleheads, goldeneyes, and i ended up with this redhead. the rest of the guys each took home a mounter canvasback, except for one guy, who took home one of the buffleheads. we all got trophies that day. wish i had gotten a canvasback that day, but you can bet ill be back in that same spot next year, and hopefully get a nice bullneck can to mount. you can find pics of this huntin spot in the photo album, but it wasnt the same day. had a group of bluebills fly right across our point right at sunup about a foot off the water, about 10 feet from our blind. that is one of the most memorable moments i have had. nothin but whistilin wings, a perfect formation, and the sun risin on a perfect duck day. no one shot. no one said not to shoot. we just sat there, let em pass, and grinned at each other as they flew away, understanding that the moment was beyond words. a great hunting memory.

the wood duck i got on a little wooded pothole south of here after work. i had just bought a roboduck(it was 2003), and i went out and set it up along with about 8 teal floaters. nothin happened till sundown, and then these 2 ducks came rippin in from over my head from right behind me. i shot more out of instinct than anything, and managed to take a double. the first was a mallard hen, and the other landed way out in the water. i went in over my waders to get it, cuz i was wrappin up anyway, and was surprized to find that it was a full plumaged male woodduck, flyin with a mallard hen, and early in the season to boot. my taxidermist couldnt believe it had that kind of plumage for that time of year. that was my first bird i paid to have mounted. they all adorn my kitchen now, along with a few pheasent my dad and i shot back in 2000.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 09:41:37 AM »
Those are awesome, travo!  O0 We see a lot of woodys here in SE Iowa and have them hatch out in the trees by home here.   :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Brydawg

• Applied for my club membership...
  • If your Dawg's fat, YOU need more exercise !
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 10:51:40 AM »
Good lookin' birds Travo. You'll have to add another one this year ! O0
 I've been a Taxidermist here in MI. for 22 years now and have mounted nearly 2000 Ducks.
 Waterfowl is one of my favorite critters to mount.
"If you feel you're a person of great influence,,, try ordering someone else's Dawg around"

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 12:24:03 PM »
Nice to have another taxedirmist around here. I'll be speaking to you later this year, I hope. I plan on trying my hand at some deer mounting.

Offline rice river

• Do I have a license to kill yet??
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 03:33:30 PM »
Nice mounts travo.  We had a duck mount but someone walked away this it. 
We have a pheasant mount up on the wall.  Most of our are all big game.
Oh I almost forgot about the fisher mount.  I hate that thing. :tickedoff
Children learn to lie from adults pretending not to.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 10:21:16 PM »
Travo is mounting a duck kind of like stump breaking a horse?

travo

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 09:46:53 PM »
exactly, tech, exactly. :uglystupid2

Facebook Comments