November 23, 2017, 08:48:26 PM

Author Topic: raw feed  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Techno

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Thats right!
raw feed
« on: April 08, 2007, 09:42:58 PM »
here is some GREAT info explaining alot of things involved with feeding a raw feed instead of any packaged dog feed

Same as with the chicken. Generally the dog should eat 2-3% of it's body weight per day. This changes depending on if the dog is a working dog, pregnant/lactating Bitch, etc.

Many people get worried about parasites, etc. Through a lot of research it has been noted that dogs will not get works from eating the raw food any more than sniffing other dogs crap, etc. With a normal worming program they will be fine.

There is a ton of information online about feeding a raw diet.

The basic breakdown is as follows

60% Raw Meaty Bones (chicken necks/backs/wings/thighs, pork neck, any meat with bone in it)

10% Organ Meat (liver, green tripe, gizzards, heart, etc)

5% fruit and veggie

25% Other Meat (ground meat, etc)

Some people don't feed fruit and veggies. I prefer not to, for one main reason...when to wild dogs (which this Diet is based off of) eat veggies? Those who feed them often claim that wild dogs get these from the inside of the stomachs of their prey. But after research and observing wolves in the wild it has been noted that wolves will shake out the stomach and eat just the lining. They don't eat the contents of the stomach. I add green tripe (unbleached cow stomach...not what you find in the grocery store) to my dogs' diets for those vitamins. Once in a while I'll give them a couple of carrots or apple pieces as a snack, but not for any nutritional benefits.

Most people add supplements, including fish oil, and yogurt for aiding in digestion. Everybody uses something else, I only use oil, yogurt, and I do feed whole raw eggs (shells included in the diet).

I'm not crazy compulsive on the percentages of RMBs and other meats. I imagine a whole animal and feed as they would eat it. There's X amount of organs vs meat, there's Y amount of bones versus plain meat. I feed mostly RMBs as I picture a whole prey animal with bones almost any where a dog would eat it. I do give ground beef and turkey every other day or so.

An option some people use is feeding whole chickens, or meat rabbits. If you or a friend/family member hunts you can use the bones/scrap meat from the deer. I'm not fortunate enough to know anybody with meat rabbits or that hunts.

Also, some fish make great RMBs and dogs surprisingly love them! Just research as there are some fish you shouldn't feed your dog due to mercury levels, etc.

green tripe
green tripe
green tripe did i say green tripe?
turkey necks
chicken backs
gizzards hearts
fruits and veggies (energy)
chicken skins (energy)
bravo has lots of exotic meats (elk, wild rabbit, ostrich etc. etc.) all ground up w/ bone (very important to Keep some bone incorporated in the feed)
macerel
also get the scrapes from deer, people hunt. the hide is good to put on your flrit poles. plus the bones got alot of meat and cartalige.

travo

Re: raw feed
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 09:48:32 PM »
today, i threw out the bones from some barbequed ribs. would those be ok for duke? also, about feedin eggs, do you think it would be a bad idea to feed a huntin dog eggs in case they would get a liking for the taste and destroy a nest while out training? thanx for the info. also, is it a good idea to feed cooked table scraps, with bones or without?

Offline rifle-man

• Cur......cur this!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 09:52:57 PM »
Good info Tech !  Mine gets beef and pork with bone , chicken without bones .
I know , chicken bones ain't gonna hurt em , it's just the way I was raised  ;D

She supplements that with what she catches , and she gets to eat  the ,fur ,bone ,blood and guts  O0
If ya can't run with the BIG dawgs........ just stay on the porch !  O0

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 10:06:24 PM »
travo, cooked bones of any kind are not a good idea. the bones have much more chance of splintering and not breaking apart as well. that could in turn choke the dog if the bone isn`t chewed completely. RAW would be just fine.

i don`t think duke will become an egg hunter simply after having ate a few. how many times have you found yourself stopping at a cow field and telling yourself "i gotta have some of that" (nevermiond don`t answer LOL!)
if your worried about it, don`t let him see the eggs. break them up enough he won`t "see" what they are to begin with.

table scraps can be fed, like i said about the bones though. i don`t feed any kind of table scraps for a few reasons.

1.humans can eat without concern for consistancy. a dog can`t. think i`m kidding. go feed the dog 3 days in a row 2 different types of meals and tell me how the stool looks. a mess i know. so many points "it`s just a dog" yet it`s not "just" a dog. if your eating the same thing all the time, sure go ahead and feed. if not i`d stick to giving meat type scraps.

2.once you start giving the dog the same feed thats on your table. the dog isn`t going to look at your table any different than his feed bowl. if you keep a dog inside you know thats definatly what you don`t want.

3. it`s easy to lose control of a dogs weight feeding the preservatives and things in our food. if you have a house pet and don`t expect any kind of perfomance from the dog, go ahead.

now this isn`t stone. you will find dogs who ate nothing but junk food for so many years and always did whatever. i just look at it like this,besides i like dogs, how many professional athletes do you see eating nothing but twinkies and big macs? there is a reason why not.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 10:13:10 PM »
Good info Tech !  Mine gets beef and pork with bone , chicken without bones .
I know , chicken bones ain't gonna hurt em , it's just the way I was raised  ;D

She supplements that with what she catches , and she gets to eat  the ,fur ,bone ,blood and guts  O0

i forgot to say i sopied the info from another site. i`m 70/30 feed/raw right now. i just don`t have the freezer capacity yet to store month supplies. i don`t feed squirrel bones just cause their small like some chicken bones, probably just why you don`t feed chicken bones  ;D

i only feed anything with bones that are big enough they have to make it a point to chew them up.

Offline rifle-man

• Cur......cur this!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 10:18:49 PM »
I'm gonna disagree about the eggs and the dog  :'(  I don't know about a dog in the woods finding turkey eggs . But being raised on a farm , I've seen many a dog develope a taste for chicken eggs and once it happens , it's dang hard if not impossible to break   :wink:
If ya can't run with the BIG dawgs........ just stay on the porch !  O0

travo

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 10:19:22 PM »
hey, did ya hear about a recal on the ol roy dog treats, too?

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 10:28:14 PM »
I'm gonna disagree about the eggs and the dog  :'(  I don't know about a dog in the woods finding turkey eggs . But being raised on a farm , I've seen many a dog develope a taste for chicken eggs and once it happens , it's dang hard if not impossible to break   :wink:

i didn`t think that would be the case but you proved it so!  O0

i guess a bird dog wouldn`t need to be eating eggs like that  ;D

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 11:01:30 AM »
Yeah I'm goin to agree with Rifle that a egg suckin dog is incrediably hard to break
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Facebook Comments