October 21, 2017, 07:09:22 PM

Author Topic: Part of a letter...  (Read 509 times)

Offline Techno

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Thats right!
Part of a letter...
« on: April 15, 2007, 12:39:29 AM »
This is part of a letter which i got today from a new friend from SC telling of a tale whilest hawg hunting in TN

A dog for every reason, a dog for every season; this is how i have come to think of our beloved bulldogs. This story is about a recent "hawg" hunt in Tennessee. Give the bulldog a job,any job, and it will emerge victorious. What other canine can we say this about? If you are reading this message board, you know the answer is None! My love,admiration and devotion to the gamebred bulldog grows with each passing day and each new expirience. Along the way,through my association with this great breed, i have had the pleasure of making some good friends across the country. I feel very lucky and fortunate for my friendships and expiriences with this breed. I hope each of you have been fortunate as I. Most of us are very lucky when you consider that most of our neighbors never leave thier own back yard and have no friends beyond their own neighborhoods. The majority of the bulldog community can claim friends and are welcomed in homes from coast to coast and across the world.

Last month, i was again reminded of the versatility and fearlessness of the bulldog. Thanks to my good friend Mitch Kemmer, I had an opportunity to do some hunting in Tennessee. Always one for adventure,good friends and bulldogs, I jumped when Mitch extended the invitaion. Needless to say, I could not make my flight arrangments fast enough. Once again my good friend Louie Pall was the man to drive two hours round trip from Mitch`s house to pick me up from the airport. Louie now has two words for me, rental car. I have four for words for louie, I owe you brother!

Mitch and Louie are long time hawg hunting partners having hunted together almost every weekend for years with the late Norman Kemmer. The great Normin Kemmer actually passed away on the battlefield while hog hunting. Mr. Kemmer was doing what he loved to do with the dogs he loved and died a warriors death!!! May he rest in peace! I know his memory lives on strongly in all the people fortunate enough to have known the man.

I arrived at Mitch`s place that evening and was treated to a fine dinner prepared by Mrs. Kemmer. Mrs. Kemmer is a true southern lady-the highest compliment i can think of.

As an added bonus i was reunited with some good friends from up north(way up north). Canadians Aaron and Vince. Aaron and Vince`s desire to hawg hunt for the first time was so strong they DROVE all the way down from Canada to Tennessee. Joining us that evening was Mike from ohio(a former ufc style competitor and coach) and Mitch`s father-in-law Dave whose own pedigree is known for breaking horses. The diversity of people you meet in our fraternity always fascinates me. What other way of life would put you in touch with so many different people?

As our meals settled and we talked dogs,Mitch informed us that we would be leaving early next morning. Anticipating the hunt, Mitch had previously scouted the hunting area and was confidant of recent hawg activity. Mitch had made arrangments with Mr. Burton to hunt on his land. Mr. Burton was a fine host. He has some find land and a fine cabin with some impressive hunting trophies. Obviously Mr. Burton is an accomplished hunter. Rising the next morning, it turned out we would be joined by Mitch`s sister-in-law and young son, an allready accomplished squirrel hunter.

For the uninitiated, I have a few words about hawgs in general. Feral hawgs have no natural predators. In the south, they are regarded little more then pests, wreacking destruction on crops to the tune of millions of dollars a year. But be warned; hawgs, and boars in particular, are dangerous animals. Very intelligent and usually sporting razor sharp tusks or "cutters", a large boar can quickly kill a bulldog and seriously injure humans in the process. You certainly do not enjoy the comfort of distance and a rifle when hunting hawgs with dogs. Make no mistake about it; you are squarely in the danger zone when you are hunting hawgs and the only thing that stands between you and that angry boar is a bulldog. It is a feeling that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up and sends chills down your spine, a feeling of mild fear mixed with intense anticipation.You know the boar can badly injure you but at the same time you know that the canin standing between man and boar is damn near invincible. Untill you step into this danger zone, you can`t appriciate the peril. I hope all of you have the oppurtunity to go hawg hunting at least once in your lifetime.
When hunting with bulldogs, one or more cur dogs are usually used to wind and then "bay" the hawg. The cur dogs "bay" the hog untill you arrive with the bulldogs. The bulldogs serve as "catch dogs". The catch dogs job is to engage the hog by holding and controlling it untill you can safely(realitivly speaking because it is by no means "safe") get to the rear (you do not want to be anywhere near the head of the hawg) of the hawg and firmly grab and lift it`s rear legs. The bulldog must be broken off the hawg and tied out. The cur dog like wise need to be tied out,believe it or not some cur dogs will try and catch. The hawg is then tossed onto it`s side and hawg tied. Once the catch dogs are released, time is of the essance. If you let the dogs engage the hawg for too long, you may very well lose a good dog. The sport of hawg hunting is not for the faint of heart. Rushing into battle to grab a hawg requires courage and bravery. And if you doubt the intensity of the battle, you have never been hawg hunting or never run into a big boar. It may not be a long battle if but it is an intense one. If you hesitate or delay, you will lose or cause serious injury to your dog.

The late Norman Kemmer, along with Mitch and Louie Pall, would not hesitate to rush into the swamps infested with alligators to "catch a hawg". I say "catch a hawg" because what they were really doing is "saving a dog" and "catching a hawg". This kind of concern and devotion to the bulldog makes the animal rights agenda and their propoganda against our breed sound hollow Most of the dogman and woman I know love and are devoted to the bulldog.

The two bulldogs chosen to hunt this day were two females. Neither of these dogs weighed more than 40lbs. Of the two, a young female owned by Louie, had never hunted before. Of the two cur dogs to accompany us, one was a young pup owned by Louie that never hunted before. The othe cur dog was an expirienced hunter owned by Mitch. If your keeping score, we were about to hunt with two of four dogs that have never hunted before. If you are an expirenced hawg hunter , you know that once you enter the field, you never know what you might encounter. You can encounter anything from a 50lb piglet to a 350lb angry and determined boar. Fortunately, we had two expirienced battle hardend hawg hunters in Mitch and Louie. Later that day we very much needed their expirience,but more on that later

If you think odds were against us, you are forgetting we had two bulldogs nonethe less. If i could choose one "weapon" from the animal kingdom with in which to enter the battlefield, it would always be a determined bulldog. During our circumstances that would make lesser men and canine alike quit and turn tail, I know the bulldog will not let me down. I know some men like this that I am proud to count among my friends. You knwo who you are.

Look for part two soon.......

Facebook Comments