October 22, 2017, 04:52:15 PM

Author Topic: RN or HP???  (Read 5211 times)

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
RN or HP???
« on: June 28, 2004, 10:18:36 PM »
What do you use for squirrel hunting???

I'm talking 22 caliber rimfires...  shorts, longs, long rifle or magnums... CB,  hollow point, round nose, wadcutter or other????

please share all of your combos that you tried and tossed out, or the ones that you tried and loved....
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
RN or HP???
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 01:35:24 AM »
Firekidd, when I used the .22, I used CCI Stingers and just bought a box of some .22 LR that are hotter than the Stingers. My Marlin loves Stingers, and the round is a super round for squirrels. I didn't have a chanch to shoot the hotter ones. I have absolutely no complaints with the Marlin .22 and the Stingers, but you ought to go for head shots, for sure!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
RN or HP???
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 06:29:25 AM »
When I used mine, I got the cheap Federal cartridges that you can get in the "milk carton".  My Marlin liked those cheap rounds! :D   I've shot some of the more expensive ones in it, but couldn't notice any difference.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
RN or HP???
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 11:20:52 AM »
BC, if I am correct, your Marlin .22 shoots good with any ammo, like mine does. Many rifles don't group well with the Stingers, But the Marlins seem to excell with them.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
RN or HP???
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 11:40:15 PM »
Can't say as I ever tried the Stingers, I don't think.  Now that I've got the .17 though........the .22 is retired until the boy gets old enough to carry it! :D

I may have to get it out of retirement and shoot it a little with the Stingers.  I mean, a dad should help his son out every chance they get! 8)  :D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
RN or HP???
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 10:08:24 AM »
Absolutely, BC! Yep, I know a little feller that has a lot going for him, already.  :D  :D

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
RN or HP???
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 09:22:17 PM »
It will still be 2-3 years before I let the boy get ahold of a real gun.  He's still at the stage of running around with his lever action battery-powered rifle shooting my deer heads on the walls! :D   I still cringe every time he points it at me and pulls the trigger. :shock:   Gotta break him of that crap though!!!!!  Get him to start aiming at squirrels, deer, and of course.........the CAT! 8)  :D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
RN or HP???
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 09:09:50 AM »
BC, yep, having a house cat is probably a good thing. For training purposes, that is. Your son is probably already aiming for head shots. We had a pet squirrel and a pet coyote at the same time. It was kind of worrysome for a while, for the squirrel's safety. They ended up being pals, believe it or not. It took a lot of one on one with the coyote, though.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
RN or HP???
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 07:08:57 AM »
John the coyote therapist! :D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
RN or HP???
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 12:26:43 PM »
Hey John, I thought we were supposed to save the world from the buck toothed horde of the forest......

Not save the buck toothed horde from the 'yotes..... :wink:
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Facebook Comments