October 21, 2017, 10:59:43 PM

Author Topic: RN or HP???  (Read 5207 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
RN or HP???
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 02:10:29 AM »
The squirrel was injured and we nursed it back to health, and the dang thing decided he had a new home. It was most unusual, because it was a full grown squirrel at the time. Our coyote was only about half grown, and wasn't sure what she was, seeing as how we bottle fed her, I guess. Things changed quickly when she grew up and started catching birds in her pen. She was a good pet for 8 years.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
RN or HP???
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 10:53:19 AM »
BC, which do you like better, the .17 HP, or the ballistic tip? I think the plastic tips do more damage, and have seen for myself that the HPs penetrate farther on hard stuff, believe it or not. I have a box of the new 20gr. HP, but haven't shot any game with them, yet.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
RN or HP???
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 07:53:30 PM »
I haven't tried anything other than the ballistic tip.  I've been happy with the performance and the accuracy of them.  I'm going to try to try to get some of the others this weekend and try them out when not hunting.  Since I'm off, Lord knows I'll have the time! :wink:  :wink:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
RN or HP???
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2004, 02:48:31 AM »
Tech, All I used were Stingers in my Marlin for squirrels and hunting. My Marlin loves the Stingers. Yep, they do a REAL job on squirrels and are devastating on rabbit heads, too. A stinger will almost take the rabbit's head clean off! I shot one in the back of the head a couple of years ago, and all there was left of the head was a patch of hide with some stuff stuck to it. Now I hunt with a .17 HMR, so my daughter is going to use my .22. And I already have a good supply of Stingers ready for her.

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
RN or HP???
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2004, 09:45:51 AM »
Tech, some advise that I got from some people here....   get as many different kinds of ammo as you can....  then go to the range one day and see what groups the best out of your rifle...

I tried it and found a few different kind of ammo....  so I have a few backups.....
good luck!!!!
oh and yes once you change ammo you do have to re-zero your scope....
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
RN or HP???
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2004, 09:59:00 AM »
Firekidd is absolutely right. Some rifles don't like the Stingers as far as grouping. My .22 does, my brother's Ruger 10/22 does not group them well.  Marlin rifles have great barrels, by the way,and Marlin set some industry standards with their Micro Groove barrel when they came out with it, my way of thinking. :D

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
RN or HP???
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2004, 10:05:05 AM »
another point...  if you have a barrel with a match chamber don't use stingers or aguila high velocity...  their cases are longer than normal LR cartridges and can damage the rifling....

there is another kind that has the long cases.... I don't remember what it is though......
but if you have a normal chamber, then there should be no problem...
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline HeavyChevy

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
  • Aint nothing better in life then HUNTING,HAUNTING
    • http://www.hhh-usa.org
RN or HP???
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2004, 11:26:52 PM »
CCI stingers out of a black and stainless marlin model 60ss
Rick Kube
LM NAHC
MB MICHIGAN BOW HUNTERS
mb comerative bucks of michigan
LM MUDH
Founding member of HUNTERS HELPING HUNTERS.

Offline HeavyChevy

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
  • Aint nothing better in life then HUNTING,HAUNTING
    • http://www.hhh-usa.org
RN or HP???
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2004, 01:05:21 AM »
I like hollow points incase i have to body shoot them.
Rick Kube
LM NAHC
MB MICHIGAN BOW HUNTERS
mb comerative bucks of michigan
LM MUDH
Founding member of HUNTERS HELPING HUNTERS.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
RN or HP???
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2004, 12:31:29 PM »
HeavyChevy, the mod.60 is a great rifle! My daughter will be using mine this year. It LOVES Stingers, really groups them great. It's all I normally shoot in it. You can get a pretty good idea what the Stingers will do when you shoot a rabbit from behind, in the back of the head.  You will end up with a small piece of head hide left, with a little bit of gooey stuff stuck to it. The rest of the head is GONE! You already know what they do to squirrel heads. Old Indians really get off on this stuff, huh?

Facebook Comments