November 17, 2017, 09:40:27 PM

Author Topic: albino catfish  (Read 1629 times)

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
albino catfish
« on: July 03, 2004, 10:48:25 AM »
Do you guys know anything about albino catfish???  
I caught one a few days ago, and let him go...
are they just a color variation, or are they a different breed????

just curious.
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
albino catfish
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 07:40:38 PM »
No its probably not a seperate species FK, just a genetic mutation. All species have a slim chance of being born/hatched without the natural gene that makes pigmentation of the skin possible. Animals that carry this albino gene can be selectively bred to create offspring that have a much higher than normal chance of being albinos.  The white rabbits, rats and mice seen in pet stores are good examples.  A dead giveaway is the pink eyes due to the lack of pigmentation. What's really rare is this to occur naturally, and the fish survive to grow large enough to get a hook in his mouth. Small catfish depend a lot on their coloration to lie motionless on the bottom and blend in to avoid being bass food.  This is one lucky fish you caught there FK. I caught an albino rainbow trout years ago, but it was in a small stream, without any larger predator fish. In larger waters that catfish inhabit, an albino really stands out and has to have more lives that a cat to last any time at all. I hope you got pictures of this one. If you catch another one in the next few weeks, you need to start buying lottery tickets, and fast. :)
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
albino catfish
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 11:08:09 AM »
thanks john, I caught it out of a small farm pond that was privately stocked about 12 years ago....  the owner says that they didn't stock any bass, just cats, bluegill and crappie.... the fish are nice size, the cat was big, and I have seen some bigger cats already....  oh and they eyes were pink on the cat... so that's a positive on the albino.

Now I have another question... how will the fish do in a pond with the only predator fish is the catfish....  will the amount of fish be balanced? or will there be problems???  I'm thinking along the lines of too many bluegill, and then them being to small due to overcrowding....
I guess that it can't be to bad, because they have been fine up until now... but I was just curious.
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
albino catfish
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 09:53:16 PM »
You're dead on FK. When bluegill are allowed to reproduce unchecked they will overcrowd a pond and be stunted. On the pond that I had at my former residence, I encouraged the neighborhood kids to keep bluegill and turn my bass lose. I grew some pretty good bass, as well as big mudcats and never saw any stunted bluegill. With the abscense of bass, the catfish assume the role of top predator and will devour many a panfish. The ratios of fish species may not be exactly the same as a pond with bass in it, but still should maintain a healthy balance. With farm ponds, I highly recommend the Cajun catch and release method for larger bluegill. Just take one fillet off each side and then release the fish back into the water. This method provides a good meal, helps thin out bluegill, and grows big cats.
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Facebook Comments