November 18, 2017, 03:25:39 AM

Author Topic: Worm Calling  (Read 4111 times)

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
Worm Calling
« on: July 05, 2004, 08:22:04 PM »
All right all you gutpilers, I need some expert info on this one. This morning while building fence, I started seeing earthworms crawling around.  Mind you this was about noon, hot, dry and sunny. I finally but two and two together and surmised that I was bringing them up with sound vibrations while driving fence staples into posts.  I began to rap on one post over and over to test my theory, and sure enough here came the nightcrawlers. I thought this was so cool and kept doing it until a neighbor asked me how many staples I was going to put in that post. Has anyone else ever heard of this?  Is this a viable way to gather bait? Could I step up the harvest by using some kind of machinery?  These posts were put in with an auger about 3 feet deep and tamped back full of dirt. Have I discovered something revolutionary, or is this just an old Indian trick?
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Worm Calling
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 09:03:41 PM »
Haven't heard of it, and haven't tried it.....but it sounds like I need to!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Worm Calling
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 08:52:51 AM »
Ej, yep, I have. You can take a thin narrow board that has one edge with sold notches cut into it, running the length of the small lath sized board. Then you run a stick or small board up and down the notched edge of the one that is driven into the ground. They say the vibes will really bring up the worms in a hurry. It is a real old trick that has been done for years, in some locations.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Worm Calling
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 11:33:32 AM »
That sound interesting... does it matter what kind of dirt you're around???  Where I live the ground is 100% hard clay, but a few miles south it is all sandy ground.(old riverbed).

now I have heard of a few other ways... if you put some dish soap in five gallons of water, (like you are going to wash a car) and toss it on the ground preferably where it will soak in well, (I toss it under some pine trees) and they will come up to the top soon.  they will die in about 24 hours, but they will work for the day.

The other way that I have heard of is take a metal rod 2.5 to 3 feet long, put a wook handle on one side or wrap a lot of electrical tape for a handle.  Then take a extension cord and strip and attach the positive wire to the rod, water the ground a little, let it soak in, and sink the rod in, then plug it in.  the worms will crawl up to the top.  Note:  be careful!!!  that it electricity, let the worms come up, unplug the rod THEN pick up the worms....
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
Worm Calling
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 06:53:28 PM »
I knew you would come through for me , John. I knew I couldn't be the only one to observe this phenomenon. The dirt in my pasture is mostly red clay and this time of year the night crawlers stay pretty deep. Most of what I was seeing was smaller night crawlers, redworms, and wigglers.  I think I'll try your trick with the slat, it sounds intriguing. Also I have a buddy who has a concrete vibrator, I think I'll try to rig up something with it also. I'm thinking I might step up the harvest if I do it in the cooler months when the worms are closer to the top. It sure would beat running around at night with a flashlight, when I should be in bed, preparing to go fishing early. :roll:
(\__/)
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Worm Calling
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 02:04:03 AM »
ellwood, the electric rods work good, if the ground is moist enough. I have a home made electric rod, and it works good. I don't unplug it when I finishing pulling the worm out of the ground, I just move the rod over a foot or so, then pull the worm. Some of the worms will come clear out of the ground by them selves, some just come part way out, and hold there.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
Worm Calling
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 01:26:28 AM »
:oops: Well folks my wife did it to me again. I was telling her about my experience of calling worms, and she says, matter of factly," Oh, I read an article about that in the dentist's office the other day. It's called worm grunting and one place even has a festival to celebrate it."  Don't you guys hate it when that happens. I did a search on "worm grunting" and found some interesting links. Check these out
www.sptimes.com/2002/04/14/State/Gruntin_and_gatherin.shtml
www.arts.state.al.us/actc/articles/wormfiddling.htm
(\__/)
(")_(")

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
Worm Calling
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004, 07:57:36 PM »
:oops: Oops, wrong protocol, try this link instead:
http://www.sptimes.com/2002/04/14/State/Gruntin__and_gatherin.shtml
(\__/)
(")_(")

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Worm Calling
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 10:33:14 PM »
That's interesting, does it have to be a certain frequency of vibrations???
or can it be any kind????
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
Worm Calling
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 10:03:15 PM »
Apparently the worms aren't real picky on frequencies. Those two links I posted describe a wide variety of techniques, Surely all these methods  span a wide range of frequencies.
(\__/)
(")_(")

Facebook Comments