November 24, 2017, 07:39:43 AM

Author Topic: For the hog hunters...  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Lady_taxidermist

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
    • http://www.brandonwildlifestudio.com
For the hog hunters...
« on: May 08, 2007, 09:27:23 AM »
I know that alot of people who use dogs when hog hunting have their favorite breeds for performance. Mostly i see Cur, pits, and the like.

My question is...why don't people use Danes anymore? That is why their breed was perfected into what it is (strong build, long legs for speed, docked ears to minimize injury, and a huge bite radius). the Germans are the one who began using the breed for hog hunting and they performed wonderfully.

So, what gives?  Could it be price and care required of the large breed?

Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently and for the same reason.

Sometimes i aim to please, but mostly i just shoot to kill.

All of us were born crying. Some of us outgrow it.

Offline Juandogg

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • When in Doubt DTFB
Re: For the hog hunters...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 10:52:23 AM »
Actually if ya check out some Aussie hoggin they use danes crossed with mastiffs dalimations and bout any other breed of dog.But in my opion the reason they dont use pure danes is compared to the bulldogs dogos and other breeds like that is the dane is dang tall to not get the crap tore outta it and from all the ones I have seen they are clumsy compared to a pit although I have seen some dane crosses for sale as catch dogs that were crossed to a pit. Oh yeah and who wants to pay 500 hundred bucks for a pup that might not see its second birthday
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »
Plott is right about the Aussies.The ex and I were going to get a GD.The more I read into them the more I saw they were kept by english kings for serious gaurd dogs.I knew a guy from looo-sy-anna that used to keep them in the 70`s.He told me the average GD now days isn`t much more than a huge weak lap dog.Plus the bigger dog you go the more health problems you have.The GD are plauged with problems and un-skilled breeders helped lock those problems into the dogs.Almost like the doberman...and what the lab will become....They got bred so much by any old joe they lost what they were.The american kennel club doesn`t reconize schutzhund as a requirement for "show" dogs.They say the bite work is too negative in the public eye.So now we have shepards and dobermans that won`t hit a lick if you punched them  :roll:

Offline Lady_taxidermist

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 10:10:23 PM »
Hee-Hee..your right about them being lap dogs  :)

Just curious as to the reasons....and i think i get it...

...but i wouldn't trade my baby girl (great dane) for nothing!

From now on...this is the only breed i will personally own.

Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently and for the same reason.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 10:22:55 PM »
Well lets see some pics of her  O0 O0

Offline Lady_taxidermist

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 10:24:38 PM »
i will have to get some better pics of her....but i posted one in the "how many dogs" thread...

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 10:29:52 PM »
 O0 O0

Facebook Comments