October 22, 2017, 11:27:33 AM

Author Topic: Your funniest or spookiest after dark exp.  (Read 5866 times)

travo

Re: Your funniest or spookiest after dark exp.
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
crazysquirrelpoon scared the crap out of me one night as i was returning from the graveyard. but he tells it better.

Offline Techno

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Thats right!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 08:17:57 PM »
This story appeared in a bulldog magazine in 99.

It all Started when my friend Ladale was at my house. We were drinking E & J Brandy and waiting to go out. It was about 2:00am and it was time to leave. I let my dogs outside. Thrilla was three and a half years old and weighed 54 pounds. Retti was three years old and weighed 29 pounds and was two months pregnant.

It was December, so it was really cold outside and I put them in the back Yard. About eight minutes later, a full grown female moose standing taller than myself (I’m 6’1”) walked into the Yard. Before I knew it, Retti, the crazy little B____, was on the moose’s nose and upper lip. Then here comes hardheaded Thrilla going for the moose’s stomach area. Thrilla is a powerful Stifle dog. If he gets into a dog’s rear end or any other animal’s for that matter, your looking at a lot of vet bills. As Thrilla tried to get up under the moose, he got the kick of his life right in the forehead; right between the eyes I guess the moose was pretty p_____ off since she had a 29-pound Pit locked on her nose. Thrilla yelped, did about three flips and was up and running after the moose.

That’s when the chase began. Like I said, we were drinking and there were a couple feet of snow on the ground and it was pitch black outside except for the streetlights. Moose run at about 25 – 35 mph, so there was no way to Keep up with them on foot. The moose and dogs were already two blocks ahead of us and all we could do was watch in horror and yell,”Retti, let go”, but like the energizer bunny, she just kept going and going.

Finally the moose stopped and gave Retti, from what we could see, about seven good body blows. After all that, she let go of the moose, and the moose took off with Thrilla right on its arse. Retti layed there for about two minutes. By the time that Ladale and me got to her, she was back on her feet and hot on the moose’s trail. The moose and both of my dogs were out of my sight within a few minutes. We turned around and went back to get the car and go find them.

About halfway back we heard Thrilla barking in the middle of the street. We got Thrilla and put his leash on him. Then we heard garbage cans getting knocked over and my friend said, “look out”, and pushed me into a parked car as he jumped on top of the hood. I followed for good reason, because here came the moose right through the neighbor’s fence. As it passed, I noticed that the hairs were standing up on its back and blood was coming from its nostrils. When you heard it breathe, it sounded like some kind of flapping noise. Then out of nowhere, here comes the dumb B____ Retti over the fence and on the moose’s side. She was off and on the moose because she couldn’t get a good hold. She was grabbing nothing but fur. They ran into the woods and into an old gravel Pit where we lost them again.

We went ahead and took Thrilla home and picked up some flashlights to go and look for Retti. Halfway to the gravel Pit we see Retti coming back our way with some of the moose’s nose and part of it’s face in her mouth. We picked her up and headed to the 24-hour emergency vet clinic to get her x-rayed since she was pregnant. Believe it or not, all 11 pups were alive and doing fine. She suffered no broken bones, just minor scrapes and scratches. I made the mistake of telling the vet the story. They called the Fish and Wildlife Commission on me. I had given them my address for billing. The next thing I know, I got papers in the mail saying that I need to show up in court on such and such day and appear before the Judge. It was the state of Alaska versus me. The charge was “Illegal Hunting of Moose with a Dog in City Limits”. I beat the charges, but it cost me 5,000 dollars for my attorney. That was better than a year in jail and a 50,000-dollar fine.

Retti had eleven, healthy pups, eight females and three males. I kept one and named him Thunder. As for the moose, it bled to death two days later and all the meat was donated to a homeless shelter.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 08:54:12 AM »
I learned long ago to give moose all the room they want, Tech!  :shock:
Back in the 60's I went bear hunting In MN with some pals. We stopped at what looked like the start of a landfill near what is called Cotton, MN. It was an old iron strip mine where we parked the station wagon and decided to settle down for some much needed sleep.
I informed the guys I wanted to study some bear and left them snoozing while I sat a hundred yards from the wagon. I was armed with a flashlight and was leaning back against a small brushpile. The night was very dark but nice and cool.
Occasionally I heard a tincan rattle and credited it to small critters or rats.
About 4:30 in the morning I decided to give it up and return to the car. As I stood up I switched on the 6V light and was shocked  :shock: to see a bear also rise up only about 10 feet in front of me. Also shocking was that several other bears also were within a few feet and yards of me. Another bear was just feet behind me on the other side of the small brushpile.
I stood there unarmed and was scared out of my wits, but knew better than run. I shined the light all around at the bears and shouted at the top of my lungs, but the bears just stood there and sniffed and snuffed.
The 6V light woke the driver of the wagon and he discovered my situation. All he could do was lay on the horn, which spooked the bears. By this time, the other guys had been awakened and watched the excitement from the safety of the car.
That was my first bear hunting trip, and a very educational one.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Nick_T

• Can I shoot one time?
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 09:46:35 AM »
Try stepping into a covey of quail at night. If that don't nearly cause a heart attack, nuthin will.

Nick T

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 10:24:16 AM »
No kidding! exploding coveys of quail really do startle ya!  :shock:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline rice river

• Do I have a license to kill yet??
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 10:25:47 AM »
JA-  What a small world.  I know right where you are talking about.  Just outside of Cotton, MN off the the highway.  It turned into a landfill called Voyageur Services.  Mike's ex in-laws owned it.  Mike worked there for years.  We have tons of bears up here.  As a kid our parents use to take us to the dumps to watch the bears.  Now a days they are setting up all this bear visit places.  Now it cost money to go watch them.  

http://www.bearstudy.org/
http://www.americanbear.org/sanctuary/bear-sanctuary.html
Children learn to lie from adults pretending not to.

Offline Eric Hazelip

• Gut Pile Guide
  • The force is strong with this one
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 03:40:36 PM »
No kidding! exploding coveys of quail really do startle ya!  :shock:
Did that one morning walking in to the deer stand, I was so shook up  I went back to the truck,, I think I was about 10 at the time.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 07:08:04 PM by Eric Hazelip »
All who resist will die

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 04:55:17 PM »
Bill had to pee he didn't see the electric fence in the dark ..........He was screaming pretty loud ,once I figured he wasn't being killed I almost died laughing.

That ain't funny!  It hurts like HE77!!!! >:(  I know!!!!!

Let's see.................  Stepped on a guinnie fowl one night frog gigging.  Just about crapped my pants and had a heart attack at the same time! :shock:

Next..........  My uncle and I were bowhunting in the afternoon.  Prior to going in, we had been talking about bobcats and cougars repopulating the area (you can already see where this is leading).  After dark, I came down out of the stand and when to switch my light on.  Dang batteries were dead! >:(  So here I am, slowly picking my way back to the truck, with it being pitch black and no flashlight.  I finally get up near the truck, and there's a big cedar tree I have to walk past.  My uncle comes out from under the cedar tree, on all fours, screaming and snarling like a cat.  It wasn't too funny at the time! ;D

Next..........  Me and a buddy in college both dipped Copenhagen and used to spit in 2 liter bottles.  For some strange reason, we started saving the full 2 liter bottle of spit.  At the end of the semester, we had 70 some liters of spit, in 2 and 3 liter bottles.  Even stranger, we decided to really "save" the bottles.  I loaded them up in the truck and took them home.  We stored them up in the loft of the barn.  A couple of years later, we decided that we wanted our spit bottles back.  During the 2 year period, my mother and father had gotten a divorce, with dad buying the house and land where we used to live.  Because of some of the things that happened during the divorce, I wasn't on speaking terms with dad (and I'm still not).  We were going on a stealth recovery mission!  O0  Both of us dressed in black clothes and each strapped on a pistol, me a .357 mag, my buddy a 9 mm.  By now, you should be able to tell that no good is going to come of this. ;D  We waited until about 11-12 at night, and parked the truck in the old school yard and started going "cross-country" to get to the barn.  As we're walking across the field, getting near the barn with our spit bottles in it, we hear something running toward us. :shock:  Now I knew that dad had put a mule in the field, but I had somehow forgotten to mention that to my buddy. :roll:  I wasn't too concerned with the mule, until I heard, "SNAP", "WOOSH"!!!!! :shock: :shock:  Then, instead of being concerned "with" the mule, I was concerned "about" the mule! ;D  I knew what those sounds were.  I had heard them quite a few times.  As I was turning around, I started saying, "IT'S A MULE, IT'S A MULE, IT'S A MULE, IT'S A MULE!" as fast as I could.  I turned around to see my buddy standing with his pistol drawn, finger tightened up on the trigger, pointing at this mule's head, which was about 2-3 feet away! :shock: :shock: :shock:  It wouldn't have been fun trying to explain why there was dead mule in field, considering some of the things that were said between he and I during the divorce. ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline rifle-man

• Cur......cur this!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 05:31:47 PM »
It' OFFICIAL ........I have now heard it all  ;D

If ya can't run with the BIG dawgs........ just stay on the porch !  O0

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 05:55:54 PM »
it dont matter what species of bird it is when it is just bairly starting to get light and you are going into the woods and one of them things goes tearing into the air from right under your foot, it takes a few for the heart to start back up... the grouse around here are notorious around here for waiting till the last possable second before taking wing
when in doubt shoot twice

Facebook Comments