November 24, 2017, 07:40:01 AM

Author Topic: Fact or Fiction?  (Read 1516 times)

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
Fact or Fiction?
« on: May 22, 2007, 09:50:30 AM »
I was arguing with a co-worker the other day. He was telling me that you don't want to spoil your pups too bad with affection, because as they grow older, they will lose some of their grit and not be as good of a hunting dog. I, on the other hand, have always allowed my daughters to carry them, roll them in baby strollers, apply makeup and pet them to no end. I've always felt like the more interaction, the better. The only major drawback I've seen so far is the naming. While other hunters are yelling  for "Rocky", "Sally", and "Rambo", I get teased for calling "Sweetums", and "Sugar". One guy even made the comment that maybe I was a little too intimate with my animals ;D  What is the Gutpilers take on this? All I know is the way I've always done it. Anyway else, with my girls, would be impossible anyway.
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Eric Hazelip

• Gut Pile Guide
  • The force is strong with this one
Re: Fact or Fiction?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 11:06:09 AM »
I will agree to a point, and the point I am getting at is the kids can name the house dogs , but I name the hunting dogs, other that that my best rabbit dog and bird dog sleep at the end of my bed everynight, and have been the wonderful and loving pets.
All who resist will die

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 02:40:14 PM »
yeah it is sorta rough calling your hunting dog fluffy, or some girly name, but i disagree with the interaction, the more interaction you give/get  the more loyal hard working animal you will have! he will hurt himself and others pleasing you and "his" family.. if you enforce what you expect from him and what he gets from it, then you have nothing to worry about what so ever!
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 04:25:37 PM »
The more interaction the better O0 O0 and I hear ya bout callin them by some of the names kids come up with at one point I had 2 dogs called sweetheart and a pit named lulu :roll: but yeah I let my kids play with them all they want I want a dog that will grad a hog by the face saturday and play with the kids on sunday O0 O0 O0
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline rifle-man

• Cur......cur this!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 05:19:03 PM »
Ya'll fellers have bout covered it  O0 

just for the record............. I don't care if ya call yer dawg "Little Bunny Fu -Fu " as long as it comes when called   O0  O0 
If ya can't run with the BIG dawgs........ just stay on the porch !  O0

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 12:22:30 AM »

just for the record............. I don't care if ya call yer dawg "Little Bunny Fu -Fu " as long as it comes when called   O0  O0 
are ya just sayin that so when we find out lil dogs real name is punkin we wont laugh to hard ;D ;D
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline Eric Hazelip

• Gut Pile Guide
  • The force is strong with this one
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 12:29:14 AM »
Ya'll fellers have bout covered it  O0 

you are right about that rifle man, nothing worse than having to chase down a dog or dog's that wont come in when you want them to. I've spent many a night tracking down my old coon dog because he wasent done hunting yet.
All who resist will die

Offline rifle-man

• Cur......cur this!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 06:38:33 AM »
are ya just sayin that so when we find out lil dogs real name is punkin we wont laugh to hard ;D ;D

How'd ya know her middle name ?  :-\  ;D
If ya can't run with the BIG dawgs........ just stay on the porch !  O0

Offline rice river

• Do I have a license to kill yet??
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 11:13:18 AM »
All of our hunting dogs sleep in bed with us.  My son does what he wants to them.  Our last dog would actually drown another dog to get to a duck but lick my son to death.  My vizsla hunts all day in the field then at nite she sleeps under the covers with me.  I catch myself calling her baby girl in the field!  But she always comes and does her job.  My other half partner use to get mad and always complained that his dog would run away everytime it was in the yard and not in the kennel.  He would say that the dog would run away if they were any where else just at home.  I told him the other day that I'm sure the dog ran away because he knew that soon you were going to put him in his kennel.  The dog did worry about getting put in a kennel when you were somewhere else.  He didn't think so.  IDOIT!
Children learn to lie from adults pretending not to.

Facebook Comments