October 22, 2017, 01:21:44 PM

Author Topic: Old Hat  (Read 2191 times)

BBF

Old Hat
« on: May 22, 2007, 04:33:28 PM »
This may be old hat for you guys, but it is new for me.
I had reason to go to the official Hornady website and found their Ballistic Section to be very useful. They have an On-line calculator that you can use.

You need to know the  weight of the bullet for the Energy numbers
The Muzzle velocity
The Ballistic Co Efficient
Pick a zero Range
You can select the temperature
You can select Wind
What I found very versatile is that you can enter any Zero range from 1 to 1000 ( yards) into the calculation rather then being stuck with the typcal 100-- 200 yard options in most other sites. They also have a pistol and long Range section in the same program

For example you fill in the required fields and the results show that you are 2.7 inch highat 200 yards for a 300 yard zero.

But if you don't want to shoot more then 2 inch high at  200. Where would I hit at 300 yards then.

Change your Zero Range to 260 or 270 and re-calculate. Somewhere along the chosen zero Range you will come up with the wanted 2 inch high at 200 yards. The Calculation then will tell you how low you are at 300, 400 and 500 yards if you need to shoot into the next county. ;D
The calculations also gives you the correction in MOA

I like it I like it  :)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Old Hat
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 10:14:39 AM »
That's really neat!  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 04:31:34 PM »
Hornadys website is pretty cool...along with them being a pretty cool company as well.I never saw that on the site but thanks for pointing it out!! O0 O0 O0

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 04:35:45 PM »
yes it is definatly a tool in the shed here, just one more thing to fall back onto and most of the time you have the numbers right there in front of you for whatever load you want or need to know!! I have a couple programs like this and i use them semi regularly to check and recheck data that i have on hand..
when in doubt shoot twice

Facebook Comments