Author Topic: doves  (Read 3913 times)

Offline C.N.

• Gut Pile Guide
Re: doves
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 09:51:45 PM »
  We dont do nothin like the fancy hunt round here. Just me and a couple of buddies on private land. We usually spend the night before in an old milk barn we fixed up as a WWII CP. A few steaks on the grill , maybe some taters or corn , a few adult beverages. ( this IS the night before) We turn in when ever.
 Get up early and cook some fresh ( laid last night ) eggs, some hashbrowns , sausage , bacon, toast and coffee. then we sit around listening to the radio or maybe we go dig some foxholes.( this is also the property where we do our WWII reinactments).
 Shootin starts at noon and last till you run out of shells or dark which ever comes first. We dont have any corn fields or anything on the property so we sit a fence line or tree line. Uaually get around 20 doves a day between us, limits 15 per person. Sometimes an innocent songbird gets hit but mostly just blackbirds and doves.
"Stop telling God how big your storm is.
Instead, tell the storm how big your God is!"

travo

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 08:26:20 PM »
bohica, id come down there just for the pecan pie! man, i envy you and your southern dove shoots. we shoot a pile of em around here, but just go shoot em, no feast, no party, nothin. as you said, dove season kicks off not only hunting season, it also kicks off football season and basicly is the startin gun for all that is manly and good. ok, im within 3 months of dove opener, i just might make it.

Offline Tenderfoot

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 10:51:17 PM »
Travo, organize your own "southern" dove shoot. You don't have to be down here to drink sweet tea, eat pecan pie, and shoot mounds of dove - partying all day. seriously, send invites to all your buds and tell them to bring a mound of good food with them....find somebodys feild( if you aint got one) and plant a bunch of stuff in it to concentrate them up.

Offline crazysquirrelpoon

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 11:53:16 PM »
the only dove shoots we have here are when we are lucky enough to have someone get married at the country church.........it's a beautiful thing, scores of white doves coming over the hilltop, then the confused screams of the wedding party.........
Proud Democrat

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 10:29:09 AM »
I was just thinking about that this morning at church.....sayin "hope Bohica doesn't shoot the Holy Spirit." 'Twas an odd random thought that ran through my head. I'd like to see that wedding, though. (oh, and CSP-I love that dancing Mr. T)

Offline rice river

• Do I have a license to kill yet??
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 11:39:15 AM »
the only dove shoots we have here are when we are lucky enough to have someone get married at the country church.........it's a beautiful thing, scores of white doves coming over the hilltop, then the confused screams of the wedding party.........

That was a good one!  I needed a good laugh this morning and that did it.
Children learn to lie from adults pretending not to.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 10:56:01 PM »
(oh, and CSP-I love that dancing Mr. T)

That ain't Mr. T...................That's BloodTrail. O0 ;D  Mr. T is in Texas, and I don't think his tan is quite that dark just yet. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 10:05:24 AM »
Hunter T needs to do some more fishing to perfect that tan. O0.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 09:01:38 AM »
Just across the river from here (Iowa) in Illinois they blast the heck out of the doves. Locally we have a lot of the birds, even nesting in my trees here at home and enjoying my gravel driveway and parking lot every day. Every puddle of water attracts many of them, too. And yet, stupid state won't allow a season.
The state is probably going to allow a bobcat season soon, and cougers are still fair game with no season or laws pertaining to them.  Go figure. The state probably figures the cats eat the doves, so we should be allowed to shoot the big cats.  :roll:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Nick_T

• Can I shoot one time?
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 11:05:46 AM »
Nothing like the dove opener down this way, if I could get in on good fields throughout the season I would go broke on shells. A friend of mine has about 60 acres he plants each year specifically for dove, usually a mixture of left standing wheat and a corn/sunflower mix. We usually get to his house mid morning and help him get everything set up, fire the grills off, and shoot the bull. Everyone starts arriving around 1030, and he has a shooting range in his back yard for rifles, so if ya want to sight something in or just bust some targets ya can have at it. Lunch usually is a mix of BBQ wild hog and chicken, BBQ baked beans, tater salid, and mexican cornbread. We hang out after eating until between 2 and 3 o'clock and watch the field for the beginning of the afternoon flight. Once it starts looking good we go to our normal, yearly reserved spots and have a ball. The shoots recently haven't produced loads of birds but getting a limit in an afternoon is doiable.

Most extravigant shoot I've ever got on was by sheer luck. Got a fire call one afternoon some years back and when I got there the mowers that were chopping up the corn stubble for a shoot caught the field on fire. After we got it put out I went looking for the leaser. I casually asked if it was a paid shoot or invite only, he said it was mainly for his business customers, but for me to come on and bring a friend if I liked. Thanked him and told him I'd see him opening morning. Showed up that morning about 1100 with my father in law, there was a row of huge grills set up with a bunch of white coated chefs and several rows or white table clothed tables with nice silverware and table fixtures. There were rows of tractors with benched seat trailors and large coolers filled with just about anything you would want to drink. Met the guy that was throwing the shoot again and he made sure we got tickets for the door prizes and drew our numbers for our spots on the field. Door prizes, lets take a look at those. A Ruger Red Label 20ga, Benelli Super90, and a Beretta Essentials were the top 3, and then there were everything from flats of shells to dove stools for the smaller prizes. We milled around, didn't know anyone else there except a couple of the larger landowners that I knew through work, but everyone was as nice as they could be. We were told that lunch would now be 'served', so we sat down and they brought out prime rib, baked tater, and corn, served to each one of us by the chefs. Freekin thing was to die for, cooked to perfection. When we were just about done eating, the main guy, the one I met in the field, thanked everyone for being there, introduced a couple of the guys that were there, State Senator "X", Represenative "Y", and a couple of guys that were MLB players that had flown in from several different places just for the shoot. Come to find out this guy was some sort of oil tycoon from Atlanta. Then they went through the door prizes, which I didn't win anything but my paw in law did get a nice Columbia shooting shirt and a flat of shells. After that was done, we could go ahead and hit the field or just hang out under the pecan trees and wait for the afternoon flight. We opted to head on to the field, so we matched our drawn stand numbers against the wagon numbers and got a ride out. Each stand was marked with 4 hay bales that helped serve as a blind and the field was well spaced out, not crouded. We sat there from 1300 to about 1530, killed a few, and then this Jeep pulling a trailer comes out on the field, stopping at each stand. I'm thinking it's the game wardens, but as it got closer, I notice that there were 3 gals, fine as super models, in bikinis, picking up birds and dropping off drinks. Not your normal warden attire. About 1600, the field sounded like WW3, and it stayed that way until arund 1830, the girls continued making their rounds, picking up birds and keeping the beverages fresh. We come off the field around 1930, trailer at the end of the field carried us in, and met back up at the place lunch was served at. They had pledges from UGA up there cleaning our birds us, the tables where we ate lunch were gone and a bar with 3 bartenders was in place. There was a deep fryer close by so if you wanted to have your birds cooked so ya could eat them after the shoot you could, or they were packed away in a complimentary styrofoam cooler in ice for carrying home. We didn't stick around long for the after hours festivities, but I could imagine that the way everything else had been done that a couple of strippers had to be in the mix. Talk about being treated as royality, it was top shelf, no telling how much $$$$ was shelled out on this deal. Really enjoyed it, but a simple shoot with a pick and pull BBQ amongst friends would have been just as enjoyable.

Nick T

Facebook Comments