October 22, 2017, 10:47:05 PM

Author Topic: Broadheads?  (Read 4146 times)

Offline rice river

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Do I have a license to kill yet??
Broadheads?
« on: June 01, 2007, 05:12:48 PM »
What kind of broadheads does everyone use??  I'm in the market for some and there is soooo many kinds.  Just wondering what everyone else uses.
Children learn to lie from adults pretending not to.

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
Re: Broadheads?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 05:58:15 PM »
Thunderhead 85 grain. They fly staright and true. I've cut all the fletching off of one arrow stuck in the block they are so accurate-they have never broken on me, but then again I've only hit one deer with an arrow and its from a 45# recurve. You want a brand new box of 6? 30$ free shipping.

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 07:24:50 PM »
the slick trick 100's fly really really well four blades

last year i used the mangus buzz cut great head very easy to resharpen over and over sharpen on a stone just like your favorite hunting knife can be shot two or 4 bladed the serated  edges kinda help the wound not to close there about 29.00 for three around here if you can weight tell the meijers store gets ready for ice fishing season there marked down to around 9 bucks then buy in bulk  O0 this time of year you can get some good deals on ebay.
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

Offline Blood_Trail

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »
HOW heavy is ya bow? What's it set to? I shoot Grim Reapers. I've had pass thrus on hog noproblem. If ya shooting a lighter bow, go with a cut on contact blade like Magmus or T-Locks. Your bow don't have sling an arrow at 300fps to get good penatration with a good sharp blade. O0

Offline rice river

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 10:49:07 PM »
I shoot a Fred Bear Odyessy II.  I just uped it to 45 lbs.  I hope to be up to 50 or 55 lbs by deer season.  I've been shooting about 65-100 times a day lately.  Since I'm unemployed right now the Glendel Buck is getting a work out.

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 10:35:02 AM »
Dang, 100 times a day. I don't even know if I practice that much in September. Gunna get that 10 pointer at 100 yards, eh? My friend shot 3 differnt types of broadheads off of his 55 lb compound. They all seemed to fly nicely at 30 yards. From the 125 grain to my 85 grain. But I'd go for the heavier for more penetration. and at about 35-40 yards the 125 grain began to drop severly.

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 11:46:52 AM »
cut on contact broadheads are nice because you can save one out to practice with,resharpen it and your ready to hunt.This saves on the cost of replacement blades.The cut on contact aids in pentration with lighter poundage bows. The open on impact broadheads use to have alot of problems with not opening or bouncing off on angel shots.The typical open on impact uses some of it's kenetic energy to open the broadhead.This style of broadhead with it's larger  cutting diameter , and the use of some of it engery to open the broadhead are not the best choice for someone shooting 50 pounds or less.They have worked out alot of the problems with the open on impact broadheads and have some very good ones on the market today, grim reapers, rocket heads, ect.They could be a good choice if poundage is around 60 pounds or more.
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

Offline IllinoisBoHunter

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • True Happiness is a Steamin Gutpile!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 12:32:50 AM »
100 gr 3blade RAGE for me.........Will never shoot anything else......

travo

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 10:57:40 AM »
picked up some shuttle t-locks during turkey season. fly like a feild point, low profile, yet lotsa cuttin diameter.check them out.

Offline rice river

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 07:29:28 PM »
Thanks eveyone.  I'm bringing my bow in this week so when I'm there I'll check out all the broadheads.

Facebook Comments