October 22, 2017, 10:45:45 PM

Author Topic: Trail Boss  (Read 2830 times)

BBF

Trail Boss
« on: May 28, 2007, 05:30:19 AM »
 I got a bag of new Rem Brass for the 30-06 the other day and wanted to play around with the new IMR Trail Boss powder. The stuff looks weird to start off. Tiny round flat flakes with a hole in the center and light grey in color. It doesn't run thru the trickler all that good but I have had worse. This powder is designed to work with lead bullets for Cowboy Action. I am not sure were I would find any cowboys in these parts but anyway.....

Previously I tried a few jacketed 110 gr bullets with 15 gr of powder and that seemed ok. There are no book loads or On-line info  listed for the 30-06 so I was hoping for the best.

Next I loaded up some 150 gr Cast with gas check and 12 gr of powder, CC! 200 primers. The powder is bulky. Even 12 gr seemed to fill up half the case. The report is about like a .410 shotgun and the pressure is very low looking at the primer and the ease of re-sizing the case with my small base dies. There is also very little powder residue left in the barrel.

I haven't tried shooting groups with it but for a cheap plinking load from a full sized rifle it is hard to beat.   I also have 165 gr and 200 gr Cast bullets available and will try them.

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
Re: Trail Boss
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 07:43:51 PM »
sounds like you got yerself a good 06 plinker round there.. i would be curious how it prints on paper and to what range you can do, etc,etc. was this powder designed for rifles like the 06 or more for the cowboy action, 30-30 and the like?
when in doubt shoot twice

BBF

Re: Trail Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 09:45:57 AM »
I doubt the powder was meant for the 30-06 . The same as any of the shotgun powders that can be used for reduced loads with cast bullets from modern cartridges. The cowboy action types use  44-40, 38-55 and a bunch of other cartridges that started life as blackpowder rounds. I believe that is what Trail Boss was designed for but it is versatile enough for modern stuff. I would not go much below 30 cal in large capacity cases myself.

btw, I use  16 gr. of Blue Dot with 200 gr. Cast bullets in the 30-06 as well. I will take all those plinker loads to the Range sometime and see what can be done.
Right now I would need to shower with "Off" to survive the black flies here.

Facebook Comments