Author Topic: Pidgeon  (Read 5824 times)

Offline Tenderfoot

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • John Andrews is my hero
Pidgeon
« on: June 04, 2007, 09:28:13 PM »
What do you do with a pile of pidgeons? Me and my friend have been "hired"(given permission) to shoot the pidgeon infestation at a tomatoe packing plant. I don't think they want us accidentally swiss cheasing the facility, so we will be using pellet guns, but what can you do with dead pigeons - are the edible?(oh, shoot, I got a tick on my head-curse them!!!!!!)

travo

Re: Pidgeon
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 10:07:52 PM »
i dunno why they woulndt be good to eat, they are basically overgrown doves. andrews seems to have a recipe for anything, ask him, betcha he's ever eaten a few.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 12:21:29 AM »
I've heard of folks eating them but never tried it myself. A few years ago we had a thread about it, if you care to do a search.
 I've heard of some folks saving them up (frozen) ( also crows) and use them for coyote bait.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 08:40:56 AM »
We probably ate TONS of them when I was a kid. They are good eating. Just pick and clean them like any bird. We cooked them with egg noodles, baked them, and boiled them.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 11:24:42 AM »
A friend of mine and I in college killed a passel of them one day.  We took them back to his house and cleaned them up, and then took them back up to college and cooked them.  We were charging people to come into the room and eat them!  Told people they were big doves! ;D ;D ;D

Clean them like you would a dove, and cook them like a dove.  They're a little tougher and dryer than doves, but still pretty good.  The taste is pretty much the same. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 11:59:34 AM »
Ok, I may be feasting this weekend. I'll try it.

Offline C.N.

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 09:49:15 PM »
Let us now how they taste . There may be a corner on the pigeon market soon.
 According to Raymond Clary in his THE MAKING OF GOLDEN GATE PARK, 1906-1950, Rock Pigeons became such a nuisance in Union Square the 1920ís that the Parks Department would trap them with nets and deliver them to the Aviary for safe keeping. As the story goes, they were then sold to restaurants and presented as squib.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 10:21:26 PM by C.N. »
"Stop telling God how big your storm is.
Instead, tell the storm how big your God is!"

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 01:48:16 AM »
The birds are dark meat and are stronger tasting than doves.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline rice river

• Do I have a license to kill yet??
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 08:51:12 AM »
You could trap them and sell them to dog trainers.  Around here they go for $3.00 a live bird .  If you could line up a couple trainers you could make some money off of the whole thing.
Children learn to lie from adults pretending not to.

Offline Frank A

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 01:00:40 PM »
I once ate them when I was a starving college student in Ky. Shot them with a sling shot. Cooked them in boiling water ,didn't know about spices , onions etc. then . I think they were filling and I don't recall  saying I'd never eat them again, so must have been pretty good. Don't they call them squab in the store if they are young.
According to : www.epicurious.com :
squab
[SKWAHB]
A young (about 4 weeks old) domesticated pigeon that has never flown and is therefore extremely tender. It was a popular special-occasion dish in Victorian England.

Maybe just eat the young ones and sell the older ones.

Facebook Comments