October 18, 2018, 04:51:36 AM

Author Topic: Pidgeon  (Read 6038 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Pidgeon
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 11:21:07 AM »
We smoke about every kind of fish that comes out of the river, and it's all good. Even carp and buffalo fish is great eating. In fact, carp and buffalo is great eating any way you fix it. No kidding, it's great.
We also catch eels here, at just a few places. Eels are good fried.  :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 09:43:26 PM »
Never tried eel, but my dad said they cauhgt them in their crab traps up in maryland.....he said he never got a chance to eat one 'cuz he'd bash them until they stopped moving and then  1 min later once he had gotten his crab they would come back to life and flop off the dock. Yeah, I want to try smoked gar some time....people are always telling me how innedible it is....but thats what they say about elderberries, too.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 09:07:20 AM »
Elderberries are great for making jelly. My mother makes up a big batch every year.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 10:56:44 AM »
Smoked mullet??  ???  I always thought that was what Plott had after standing on the down-wind side of a camp fire.  Who would have ever though................ :roll:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2007, 12:23:05 PM »
Smoked mullet??  ???  I always thought that was what Plott had after standing on the down-wind side of a camp fire.  Who would have ever though................ :roll:
Hair must have caught fire from one of the sparks, now he has short hair. Come to think of it, I thought I smelled burned hair when I saw him a while back.  :wink:  ;D

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2007, 08:11:12 PM »
JA, you are like MY MAN....always backin me up with these stories of the stuff I eat. Most people just make gaggin motions when I tell them some of this stuff. Have you ever tried wild cherries(I suppose the Florida kind are different than other places). They make a mean jam, too. I tried to smoke my gar i shot yesterday, today.....i couldn't even gut the thing....my knives and razor blades and even saws couldn't get past that armour. I just talked to another bow fisher and he says that you need a bandsaw or chop-saw type set up, but he likes the meat. I would have needed to use a machete and hatchet to open that critter up....and to retreive any diced meat from inside, thats another story. Anyways this bowfishing guy says we should go after the 300 lb gator gar on the Wacissa R. He needs a crazy young whipper-snapper to help him hold onto that rope-says his friends won't do it. Tell you guys how that goes.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »
Thanks, TF! I've tried some great wild cherries that grows only in one place, a small bunch of large sized wild cherries that is on an old homestead spot in one of my hunting timbers.  I don't know if they are actually native wild cherries, they are much larger than our native choke cherries.

About the gars, how about cutting off the head and then using anvil type hand pruning shears to cut down the length of the belly? Where you cut the head off would give you a starting point for the shears. An axe or hatchet would complete the tough cutting lengths to fit into the smoker. You could hammer the hatchet and make some easy cuts through the gar.

I used to smoke a lot of carp and buffalo. I cut the scales off and smoked fish steaks. The fish steaks smoke much quicker and are ready to eat sections. I personally think smoked fish steaks with the scales removed before smoking are better eating. The scales and slime don't add to a good flavor. Once you get the gar sectioned and gutted, removal of the skin and scales should be easier.

We used an old refrigerator, electric hot plate, wood pan, and a grate over the wood pan with a pan of water on top of the stack.

We ran the electric cord out the door of the frig, shut the door on the whole works, and pressure smoked fish steaks in about 4 or 5 hours. We would check the load every couple of hours, adding wood or water, as needed.

The water pan caught the drippings and prevented the drippings from going on down to the smaller wood pan. Water in the smoker really improves the flavor and texture, I think. It may speed up the process, too.

Back to the birds, I bet they would be great smoked, too.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 10:18:40 AM by John Andrews »

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2007, 11:01:39 AM »
As for the birds....they are still waiting for me. I talked to some dog-training people and they weren't too interested in wild pigeons and I don't know how I would be able to trap them amidst the hustle and bustle of peak tomatoe packing season. The gar.....good idea with the decapitation first...I ussually just filet and was so distraught that I couldn't get through it I wasn't realy thinking of any other ways. But I bet that decapitation should be the first step with those things. I went out on the water again yesterday to try and shoot some more, but by 4 the sun is kinda long and it makes it harder to see the fish before you are floating over them. By the way, where do you catch buffalo....I don't know a lick about them, but I hear they get pretty big.

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007, 12:50:10 AM »
where do you catch buffalo....I don't know a lick about them, but I hear they get pretty big.
I would try the plains of Oklahoma or South Dakota they got alot of buffalo  ;D
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 11:33:46 AM »
I would try the plains of Oklahoma or South Dakota they got alot of buffalo  ;D
  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D Well, we find buffalo FISH in the local rivers, drainage ditches, etc. I got one years ago that was 57 pounds, and the one cruising with it was even larger.

Facebook Comments