October 18, 2018, 04:51:51 AM

Author Topic: Pidgeon  (Read 6039 times)

Offline Tenderfoot

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • John Andrews is my hero
Re: Pidgeon
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 12:23:26 PM »
Har-DE-har, Plott! What state are these drainage ditches in, again?

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 02:01:42 PM »
Har-DE-har, Plott! What state are these drainage ditches in, again?
Southeast Iowa.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

travo

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2007, 12:39:08 AM »
ya know, people pay to "hunt" buffalo around here-no kiddin. they are pen raised, and you could walk right up and pet the suckers like a cow. city boys pay great money to walk up and pop em and pose for a few shots and take home 4 lbs of buffalo sausage. crazy. we are talkin thousands of dollars here, to whack a tame,pen raised buffalo.

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2007, 08:39:07 PM »
Question is, how many other critters have they ever killed on their own? None, is my guese. They never tried or failed so bad they just quit and hired one of these jerk services to guarantee them a 'flo. They gotta outlaw that stuff.

Offline rice river

• Do I have a license to kill yet??
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2007, 12:12:58 AM »
Look at the country music guy that got busted here in MN for shooting a bear with his bow in a fenced area.  THe breed got paid great money to let him shoot it in it's fenced in area.  Someone said that parts of the hunt were in one of his vidoes.  They just made sure you couldn't see the fence.  Both Gentry and the breeder got in big trouble and had to pay fines.
Children learn to lie from adults pretending not to.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2007, 08:42:08 AM »
I'm glad Gentry and party got busted for what they did, even though it cast a shadow on hunting. WE know what he did wasn't real hunting, but is gives antis fodder for the papers and news shows.
We have high fence hunting areas around this area, quite a bit of land that is leased. The hunting on those private preserves is fair chase hunting with most of the hunters are hunting without guides.
Texas is another area where high fence hunting is popular. The hunting there is fair chase and is done over feeders. I was in disagreement with the feeders until I realized that food plot planting in those areas is impossible. Im not the one to judge another way of hunting unless I know for sure something is not kosher.
Back to fish smoking, we used to soak the fish in salt water overnight and then rub store bought smoking salt mixture onto the fish, and then smoke the fish. Salt is necessary for preserving and flavoring the fish. Quite a bit of the extra salt cooks out of the fish during the smoking process.
We had a tavern owner that bought quite a bit of our smoked fish. He preferred  extra salty fish because his patrons drank a lot more beer while eating the salty fish.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2007, 05:08:43 PM »
Sounds like Tavern Joe and the people that salt the popcorn at theatres have been reading from the same book!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2007, 12:54:52 PM »
Yep, they must have. Ol' George ordered his fish REALLY salty. Ol' George was pretty salty, himself.  ;D He would get really soused and just toss a handfull of money back across the bar for change. The patrons would just count out their change and shove the rest back to him.  ;D
Docs warned him to quit drinking or it would kill him. He finally got the job done, the booze killed him. Poor George, pickled to the last.
Good ol' George bought hundreds of pounds of smoked fish from us.

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2007, 09:32:17 PM »
I need a consumer like that! If somebody wanted to buy that much fish from me, I'd finally have an excuse to be on the water so much! O0

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2007, 12:54:18 PM »
I need a consumer like that! If somebody wanted to buy that much fish from me, I'd finally have an excuse to be on the water so much! O0
That would be good, alright!  O0 Most of the fish came from some potoles that trapped carp and buffalo, potholes that were in open fields and trapped tons of fish when the creek receded. It was easy pickings. As the potholes dried up it concentrated the fish into small killing shallow ponds.  :twisted: We used big heavy duty gigs because bow fishing was just too slow of a killing process. Pressure smoking the fish steaks in the old refrigerator just took a few hours to do a load.

Facebook Comments