December 13, 2017, 02:16:47 AM

Author Topic: LIGHTS FOR HUNTING  (Read 24836 times)

Offline Juandogg

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • When in Doubt DTFB
Re: LIGHTS FOR HUNTING
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 04:38:18 PM »
Here is some I found

http://www.cajunlights.com/CoonVisionLights.html

on ebay gotta figure bout 300 bucks

edited to add I just found this one  O0 O0 here ya go tech this baby shine the coon and light a smoke if ya hold it close enough  ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140134057873&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=140132701415&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 04:52:46 PM by plottdogg »
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 10:02:20 PM »
Boy the youth model sure looks like my price range  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 11:18:19 AM »
well then get one and when its not bright enough for ya I'll by it from ya for half price ;D my oldest kid keeps buggin me for one so I think this could work out quite nicely ;D ;D By the way I bought my 18 volt Raw Dawg ogg ebay for a 100 bucks with shipping and insurance included and surprisingly it actually was in great shape and worked like brand new
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline black bear 84

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 06:41:41 PM »
HOLY FREAKING S___!!!
The most absolute INFORMATIVE light info I have ever read  O0 O0

What do you think the best light for coon hunting would be? I will be using a mag light for general walking light but I want something that will light up the entire timber short of daylight when it`s time to spot a coon.The old wheat style lamps just don`t cut it anymore.

You should try the Borealis flashlight, it is 1050 lumens and the most powerful flashlight in the world, (it is like a two million candlepower spotlight in brightness but with a more useful side spill beam).

Two million candlepower spotlight

Borealis rechargeable flashlight 1050 lumens

And the setting in the camera was the regular daylight!

It was from a test I did using several spotlights and my red Borealis

I have a head lamp for coon hunting with a battery for the belt, it will provide up to five hours of walking light, when the coon is spotted, the Borealis light up the entire woods!

cheers
black bear

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 10:31:59 PM »
Whats thge price of the Borealis  BB?

Offline black bear 84

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 09:09:58 AM »
Whats thge price of the Borealis  BB?

$308 including charger, rechargeable 1050 lumens for 50 minutes.
 The closest competitor is the Surefire M-6 ($400, 500 lumens for 20 minutes, on six 123's disposable batteries, $36 per hour).

Those are the big guns of the flashlight scene.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 09:46:24 PM »
Holy toledo thats alot of money for a dag`um ol` flashlight man.It doesn`t even run for that long.Some of the helmet lights last WAY longer and cost half as much.If your familer with the lights Plott posted a link to for me you would understand why
I posted this here

If your not familer with them check out the link.I,like alot of others on this board i`m sure,need the most bang for our buck.I`m blue collar and $308 would be half of a Garmin GPS dog tracking collar LOL or dog food for a month and a half or... You get the idea.Thanks for the reply and the imense knowledge on lighting.Keep up the good work  O0 O0

Offline black bear 84

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 09:03:55 PM »
I use a Wizard head lamp with rheostat for tracking jobs (I am the official tracker for our group of bowhunters here in the Island), it is only so many amps you want next to your head when tracking, as a very powerful light will cook your forehead in no time.

That is why for tracking jobs involving bear I carry the Borealis 1050 lumens light on the final approach, it will blind a bear even as well as it does for humans, and give you time to react with your long knife (it is illegal to carry guns at night when using a light here in N.Y. and in Maine and most others states probably).

Cheers
Black Bear

Offline black bear 84

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 05:25:13 PM »
THE SUREFIRE M-6, 500 LUMENS TACTICAL LIGHT

Hi guys,
Here is another of my tactical lights.  This beauty is light, relatively small and VERY powerful, and it comes with two lamps; 250 lumens for one hour and 500 lumens for 20 minutes.
THE GOOD NEWS:
In reality, when using fresh 123ís batteries of Surefire brand this light puts out 650 lumens for the first 6 minutes, this is really an outstanding performance as at 650 lumens the light is very white.
After that, the small 123ís start feeling the problem of coping with the high amperage lamp and settle to the 500 lumens output for a little more time, but you can see in the beam how the sag on the little batteries affects the output.

I have had three of the M-6ís and I am very familiar with them, they are very sensitive to what batteries they like, performing quite well with the Surefire brand, but dropping down  and with reduced run time with the Battery Station brand, (at least in my experience).

THE NOT SO GOOD NEWS:
Sometimes in a warm summer night when I use the light, I can expect it to shut down after about 11 to 12 minutes of running due to the overheat protection of the batteries.
Yes the batteries will shut down the juice when very hot to avoid reaching the melting point, it is very disconcerting to have the light going full blast and all of a sudden you find yourself in complete dark.
It will no happen often but it had happened to me three times last summer (I am an above average user of powerful lights).

The light that I use for the beam shot is not my own but one that a neighbor of mine received in the mail the day I was delivering to him a Borealis 1050 lumens flashlight.

This great guy will start a conversation with, hi, I am Effie and I am a flashaholic, the day I visited him we spend hours talking and looking at his lights.
The batteries in the Surefire box, were fresh, I am sure because I deflowered the tough plastic wrapping with my trusty Ken Onionís knife.
The guy have a one room house with garage in his big back yard, (for his teenage sonís to have his privacy) and that is what we used as a target, it been 27 yards away from the end of the porch where we shoot the beams of the lights and placed the tripod and camera.

As we needed another light to test it against, we used the Borealis 1050 lumens light, this being a top of the line model with the Quick Detach Swivel and the black hard anodized bezel with the glow dots.
Of course the Borealis been a bigger light made in the 3 D format and weighting at 28 oz. and with 12 Ĺ inches in length, overpower physically and in lumens output the M-6, but we didnít have anything  closer to the 650 lumens of the HOLA lamp of the M-6.
And here are the beam shots

SUREFIRE M-6 HOLA lamp (650 lumens on fresh batteries, 20 minutes run time)

BOREALIS 1050 LUMENS RECHARGEABLE (50 minutes run time)

And here the lights side by side before the shoot out.

THE ONLY REAL PROBLEM:
It is the cost of the batteries, Surefires are close to a couple dollars now with shipping, it hurts my pocket to pay that much when the light uses six of them every twenty minutes and I donít use the light as much as when the batteries where going for a dollar each.
For the law enforcement sector, when the Agency pays for the batteries, it is not problem, but for us simple civilians like me, even that I donít have a mortgage anymore, I have a kid with a foot in College and I have to watch out my wallet, paying $36.00 per hour to run a powerful light it is not longer fun.

It is the top of the line of the portable Surefires and at $400 it is well worth the money due to the great and precise machining and finish and the good design specially made for tactical situations.

Cheers,
Black Bear

Offline black bear 84

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 03:42:52 PM »
Hi guys,
I did this piece for a hiking club I belong to. I thought you guys maybe interested. Just please forgive the hiking flavor.

THE MOST POWERFUL FLASHLIGHTS
LIGHTS FOR TRUCK OR CAR

Hi guys,
Yes, I know that this has nothing to do with hiking, but most of us use car or truck transportation to get to the trail head and usually carry some form of a flashlight in the vehicle.
A powerful light can be a life saver in many instances, I well remember when driving up to the Adirondacks at 2 am in an empty 87 North at a point between exit 28 and 29 (North Hudson) some wild people in a truck tried to run us over into the shoulder of the road, my wife shinned a powerful light into their windshield and they desisted in the intent and actually braked hard and disappeared.
Maybe they though that only  police cars would have such a powerful light and that it was better to look for their kicks somewhere else; the case was that the light resolved the situation for us.

Then it was the time when we used it to illuminate the scene of and accident involving a deer and a poor woman in a compact car in a dark lonely side road, where blood and the insides of the deer were everywhere and the car was inoperable.

Calling by phone from New York City to a local in the Adirondacks to get our weather information I was told of a new ruse some bad guys were using to rob and hi jack cars in roads with poor traffic in the area.
The information came handy a few weeks later when in Boreas road near the junction with Tahawus road we were flagged by a guy in a truck with the head lights illuminating a dead dog in the middle of the road. at the time I was using a car I had bought from my neighbor the cop, it had a PA system and blue lights mounted in the vicinity of the radiator; we stopped short, illuminated the area with the two million candlepower of a Borealis flashlight and hit the blue lights and PA system telling them over the mike to stay were they where and to show their hands. The guy in the truck jumped inside and did a burning tire escape even running over the body of the dog, while his confederate in the bushes at the side of the road had just barely time to dive head first into the bed of the truck.

So I though that I will show the guys in the forums what a powerful light is since I have several of them with me.

HERE IS A PICTURE OF THE LIGHTS, FROM LEFT TO RIGHT:  Maglite 3 D,  Magcharger, Ultra Stinger, Surefire M-6 Guardian, and Borealis.

AND HERE A PICTURE OF THE BATTERY STICKS AND CARRIERS FROM LEFT: The 6 volts battery stick of the Magcharger, the skinny 6 volts  battery stick of the Ultra Stinger, the plastic carrier for the six 123ís batteries of the Surefire M-6 and last the aluminum and Delryn 12 volts carrier of the Borealis 1050 lumens flashlight.

The Maglite 3 D is the most popular light carried by almost everybody in a truck or car. The 12 Ĺ inches of length and the thirty one ounces of weight make also a good impact weapon for emergencies, moreover, is the affordability of the light that can be obtained almost anywhere for less than $20, and, by the way, it is a quality instrument with tight tolerances and proudly still made in the USA.
So the Maglite 3 D is going to be our first test and beam shot, the light is quite waterproof to a good extend, my neighborís kids use one to collect coins from the bottom of the pool in a game they have.
The Maglite 3 D output 39 lumens and runs on three of the popular D size alkaline batteries; it will run for an hour before the output drops to 20 lumens due to the sag that alkaline batteries exhibit under load.

BEAM SHOT OF THE MAGLITE 3 D  (39 LUMENS)

MAG Instruments also produce a powerful rechargeable police light called the Magcharger, www.maglite.com  this light is used by many police departments in the states and abroad; this light is the size and shape of a regular Maglite 3 D but with 2 rings of steel where the contacts for the charger are.
This light will output 200 lumens (40,000 candlepower) and I think that the price is about $120.00 a well built quality light of 12 Ĺ inch and a weight of thirty one ounces, it works with a 6 volt system on a stick of Ni Cads batteries; the charger will charge the light in 12 hours and as the Ni Cad batteries sometimes acquire memory, it is necessary to discharge it full and recharge to erase the memory in the batteries after using it for a couple of weeks.

BEAM SHOT OF THE MAGCHARGER (200 LUMENS)

The Streamlight Ultra Stinger is the most powerful offering from Streamlight, a well known police flashlight provider, The Ultra Stinger will output 75,000 candlepower, lumens figure is 295 lumens, it also works with a 6 volt system of rechargeable Ni Cad batteries, formed in a stick, the light is very popular with many police agencies and also recharges in 12 hours.
Police station across America have racks of Ultra Stingers in chargers waiting for the night shift to arrive, the light is a lightweight at 12 inches and 15 ounces, I think that the price is around $130 in the street as some lights can be bought at discount from the web.
The address for Streamlight is www.streamlight.com there they have the whole line of Stingers and other police and emergency services lights.

BEAM SHOT OF THE ULTRA STINGER  (295 LUMENS)

Our SWAT teams and Special Forces use for entry and to blind suspects a powerful military type flashlight called the Surefire M-6 Guardian. This light works with those powerful 3 volts Lithium batteries that are sometimes used in cameras, the flashlight uses six of them disposables batteries to run the light at 500 lumens for 20 minutes; after the 20 minutes you have to dump the batteries and get another six fresh batteries in the carrier, which is of not importance when the agency pay for the batteries, but to us civilians, dumping $12.00 worth of batteries after a 20 minutes run can get to be expensive.
This light was until recently the most powerful in the world, and Surefire sells a good quantity of them despite the tag of $400 USD.
I used one for a while in my car because it fits my glove compartment, as the light is shorter and lighter than the ones we have been discussing so far.
At 8 inches 14 ounces it is quite compact, but it will make a poor strike weapon although the powerful beam of 500 lumens will blind men or animal.
If you want more information on this light the address of Surefire is www.surefire.com

BEAM SHOT OF THE SUREFIRE M-6  (500 LUMENS)

My red rechargeable Borealis flashlight at 1050 lumens (two million candlepower) is the king of all the powerful lights and the most powerful flashlight in the world at this time.
It is made on the ďhostĒ of 3D, so replacement shells are easy available and inexpensive and the owner can replace a shell that have been scratched or dented for a mere $20 if he wishes, and in only 10 minutes transfer the special parts, (some of us take pride in good looking equipment).
This light is seen deployment with some members of the border patrol to illuminate the frontier in their quest for illegal immigration. The light can throw a powerful beam for hundred of yards and in a pinch it can be used as headlights or a landing light.
Police officers are acquiring the Borealis to use the same way that they have been using the Maglite and Magcharger, the tremendous light output makes it ideal for accident sites and traffic stops.
It uses a 12 volt system of rechargeable high current NINH batteries in a beautifully made Rolls Royce carrier, the batteries donít have any problem with memory and the new type of batteries used in this light can be away from the charger for more than a month before it needs to be topped off, and the recharging time of the light is only 90 minutes.
The run time of this light is 50 continuous minutes; it is 12 Ĺ inches long and weights 28 ounces. In test ran by the maker, the light was tortured and even shot with a .22 rifle without stopping emitting light. (As a video shows in the web site).
The light sells for $320 shipped directly from the maker, which is www.BlackBearFlashlights.com

BEAM SHOT OF THE BOREALIS  (1050 LUMENS)

I thought you guys will be interested to see all these lights in action, and I pointed them to a point in the fence next to the tree with the beams and camera shooting from a 35 yards distance, this is the longest distance that I have in the back yard

Although you can not take them in your night hikes (because of the extra weight) any of them will make a good addition to your car or truck gear, who knows,  maybe they can really help you out  of a tight situation like they did for me.

Respectfully

Black Bear

Facebook Comments