December 15, 2017, 11:04:02 AM

Author Topic: new duck boat  (Read 2663 times)

travo

new duck boat
« on: June 27, 2007, 11:43:59 PM »
bought myself a nice little duck boat tonight. a 14 foor johnboat with a 35 johnson. got the johnson a while ago and had it sittin around. think that is gonna be too much motor for that thing?

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
Re: new duck boat
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 08:17:14 AM »
A Fourteen Foot John Boat with a 35 Horse Power Motor? :-\

I think you will be fine, just add a bit of weight to the bow. O0
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

BBF

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
Depends on the beam of the thing. There should be a plate on the boat telling you capacities for weight and HP.

My impression would be when you throttle UP go easy and do keep some weight well forward.

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 08:16:01 PM »
.....Tavo, It would take a really beefy 14 footer to handle a 35HP outboard! It sounds like a bit much to me. A twenty would get most 14 Jonboats to really skim,without the dangers of  a bigger motor....Check your manufacturers model tag (generaly just inside the transom adjacent the gunnel). It will indicate Maximum recomended HP rating for your boat.

,,,,...I've got a 16 foot semi-vee utility fishing boat that has a 15HP Johnson on it. It could use a 35 tops,but the little 15 pushes two fishermen along at 20 MPH which for me,works OK..(my boat is rated for a 35 HP maximum)

.......My boat is an Antique,just like me. It's an aluminum Sears boat built in 1974,but stays dry as a bone and provides great fun for me and my sons...All the best of luck and fun with your new boat..
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 08:19:19 PM by olhippie »

travo

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 01:58:32 PM »
see, the boat was painted over on the tag, and when i tryed to scrape off the thing, it scraped the tag,too. ive got a 16 foot v bottom sylvan with an 8o horse merc on it, and it handles it just fine, so figured that the 35 would be ok for the 14 footer, although it is alot lighter of a boat than the sylvan. its an alumacraft, and the sides are not that deep at all, and it is 49 inches across.

Offline crazysquirrelpoon

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 02:39:11 PM »
quit being such a poooosie.......run it like a rental O0
Proud Democrat

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 04:40:38 PM »
.....With that boat,beam and all ,a 35 is to much motor for safe operation in my opinion. I'm familar with the Aluma-craft 14 semivee that you have there. Aluma-craft makes a 'big and deep sided' 14,but your model is of smaller dimension and wouldn't safely take such a heavy powerful motor and still deliver safe operation. I believe your Aluma-craft model wouldn't be rated for a maximum power of greater than 15-20 HP. I'll reseasrch it for you and get back to you..

travo

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 11:54:55 PM »
..........its actually a johnboat. ta heck with it, im runnin er great guns.

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 10:17:32 PM »
....Travo, Good luck with that boat. Alumacraft lists that 14' jon boat as rated for a maximum 15HP outboard. I looked it up on thier Specifications website for you.

travo

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 11:48:21 PM »
wow, thanx, man. anyone wanna trade a 15 horse outboard for a 35 horse? thanx, hippie!

Facebook Comments