October 22, 2017, 05:54:11 AM

Author Topic: honest....it's not to rile everyone up.........  (Read 5807 times)

Offline crazysquirrelpoon

• Gut Pile Guide
honest....it's not to rile everyone up.........
« on: July 03, 2007, 08:02:01 PM »
i saw a confederate flag on the window of an old jacked up truck today, and it got me wondering.........why would you celebrate losing a war??--honest to god, i'm not trying to tick anyone off, or "start something", but i just really don't understand why you see people flying the confederate flag, and being so proud of it.   ---you gotta keep in mind that i live a mile from canada and am about the farthest thing from a southern as you can get..........it just seems to me flying a confederate flag is a little like wearing a 1991 atlanta braves world series loser tee shirt......

--if this gets ugly, will a mod please delete it??
Proud Democrat

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
Re: honest....it's not to rile everyone up.........
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 09:01:46 PM »
It's not celebrating "losing a war" any more than a Kurd, waving a Kurdish flag, would be celebrating getting gassed by "Chemical Ali".  It's just a Southern identity thing, and not racist either, as a lot of folks want to make it out to be. If you ask a Harley rider why he wears a t-shirt, glorifying an obselete design, oil leaking, inherently unbalanced engine; the answer you will get is, "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand!"

BTW, I also have a '91 Atlanta Braves t-shirt in my closet ;D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 09:04:31 PM by ellwoodjake »
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline rifle-man

• Cur......cur this!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 09:06:45 PM »
It's not about celebrating losing or winning , it's about honoring those who had the fortitude to fight  and die for what they believed in .

Same for OLD GLORY .

I don't think the Braves had quite as much conviction .

If ya can't run with the BIG dawgs........ just stay on the porch !  O0

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 10:32:49 PM »
Elwood pretty much nailed it. I live a little too far north for most folks to see or understand that. Round here it's veiwed as racist. Most White supremist groups brandish the CBF as a symbol of the way things were 150 yrs ago. Therefore, displaying one now can land you in a heap of trouble in these parts.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 10:36:22 PM »
yeah they have tried to ban the flag due to its "racial overtones" the only thing that has racial overtones is the person looking at it.  view the flag as you would with any other flag, malcom x tshirt, or anything else someone is proud of. not going to get ugly, it was an honest question..   O0
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Lady_taxidermist

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
    • http://www.brandonwildlifestudio.com
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 11:01:26 PM »
Around here their are confederate flags flying everywhere; and ya, i guess if you ain't from the south you wouldn't understand without asking. I am originally from TN and have been around the southern flag all my life....and it never was meant to me to be racist.

This is what the southern flag means to me:

Honor for the lives lost during the war. A statement that individual states should have rights seperate from the government. An icon that means that the government should not control the people...but the people control the government. It means there IS a reason that we have the right to bear arms.

Most people think that the civil war was ONLY fought about slavery..however that was not the MAIN point of the war. Actually most all the slaves WILLINGLY fought for the South. Slavery wasn't even brought up during the beginning of the war..it only came in question during the middle. Although most history books make it seem like that was the only thing on the table at all. The main point of the war was the question of individual states rights. And yes, slavery was in question...however there was more to it than that. The question of taxes, laws, and religion all played a part. And yes, obviously the South lost....which led to the creation of the Federal Governement....or "Big Brother" if you wish...

And yes...i believe the South shoulda won....LOL

Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently and for the same reason.

Sometimes i aim to please, but mostly i just shoot to kill.

All of us were born crying. Some of us outgrow it.

Offline C.N.

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 11:24:11 PM »
I concur with all the statements made above. And would like to add that   " If the South would've won we'd a had it made "  take a look at that song by Hank Jr,  it explains alot.
"Stop telling God how big your storm is.
Instead, tell the storm how big your God is!"

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 12:09:06 AM »

We aren`t going to be roasting weenies are we  ;D ;D ;D

All jokes aside if it`s heritage not hate.....Tell me a story  O0 O0

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 06:10:56 AM »
I agree with Lady T, it can mean a lot of things for different folks. Flying in front of a restaurant , it can mean: "Sweet tea served here" ;D
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 11:35:21 AM »
Of course it can also say "I'm as yankee as they come but want to be cool"  ;D I'm from the south but up here in Iowa I got buddies that aint even been south of the Iowa line but still fly them  :roll:
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Facebook Comments