October 17, 2017, 08:13:57 PM

Author Topic: shooting sticks,bipods..  (Read 4664 times)

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
shooting sticks,bipods..
« on: July 07, 2007, 05:09:11 PM »
how many of you guys use them, and what brands do ya'll like? I was using a monopod and couldnt steady myself well enough for a good shot, and the bipod the other guy was using for lack of a better term sucked. it would slip on the extention locks, and the end extentions were way too thin in diameter to hold itself without wobbling.. i was looking at maybe a "LEVEL LOK" but donno how good they accually are..
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
Re: shooting sticks,bipods..
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 09:37:15 PM »
The ones BC has on the Marlin HMR seem to be pretty nice.I myself don`t use them.Morax as creative as you are why have you not made your own out of some fine limbs found in the timber? Varmint Al has a kind of a "how to" on making a handy set.

Offline APRock

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 09:43:52 PM »
Mine are home made.  Had one of those cheap wooden laundry racks that folds up (about $10 at wally world).  It broke.  So I cut one side off about 4 inches above a swivel point, attached a length of bicycle innertube.  Get out to the field and open it up, rest the barrel or forearm on the inner tube and I'm a little steadier.
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

BBF

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 10:32:47 AM »
Years ago I had one of the bipods that attach to the front swivel stud I think "Harris" might have been the brand name. I found them ackward to shoot. If you zeroed in the rifle with them attached the zero was off if you took them off. If the bipod was resting on a hard surface like concrete from a shooting bench and you shot from something softer the next time, the rifle's zero was out again.  I have not used any of the shooting stick types so I won't comment on them.

Offline Morax

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 11:19:38 AM »
The ones BC has on the Marlin HMR seem to be pretty nice.I myself don`t use them.Morax as creative as you are why have you not made your own out of some fine limbs found in the timber? Varmint Al has a kind of a "how to" on making a handy set.

I got a bench model harris on the .243 goes from 6 to 9 inches or something like this, but i was looking for a kneeling to standing model.  I thought about making my own, got some ideas floating in my head, extendable paint sticks and all.  Varmit AL has all kinds of good stuff that i have read and reread, even emailed him a few times on questions.. real good guy!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 12:42:20 PM »
Years ago I had one of the bipods that attach to the front swivel stud I think "Harris" might have been the brand name. I found them ackward to shoot. If you zeroed in the rifle with them attached the zero was off if you took them off. If the bipod was resting on a hard surface like concrete from a shooting bench and you shot from something softer the next time, the rifle's zero was out again.  I have not used any of the shooting stick types so I won't comment on them.

BBF, it sounds like you may have had something loose on your gun.  I've got a bipod on my .17 HMR right now.  Having it on there or not doesn't affect the accuracy of the gun, that I've been able to tell.  But then again, I might be such a bad shot that it doesn't matter! ;D

I got a bench model harris on the .243 goes from 6 to 9 inches or something like this, but i was looking for a kneeling to standing model.  I thought about making my own, got some ideas floating in my head, extendable paint sticks and all.  Varmit AL has all kinds of good stuff that i have read and reread, even emailed him a few times on questions.. real good guy!

I've messed with some of the cheap bipods/shooting sticks.  If they're thin, you wobble too much.  Just take you a couple of scrap 2x4's and a carriage bolt and make yourself a set. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline black bear 84

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 05:27:57 PM »
I use the Stoney point Polecat bipod collapsing sticks, they are really great, a quality product.

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 11:41:37 PM »
Go to Varmint Al's website he has the plans to build what he calls a Bifurpod he uses to hunt predators with.
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline Morax

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 12:23:13 PM »
Go to Varmint Al's website he has the plans to build what he calls a Bifurpod he uses to hunt predators with.

i been there checked that all out long long times ago, great sight and info to be had there.. ended up picking up a couple mx-450s from wally world

BBF

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 12:46:20 PM »
 :) Hey BC.
That doesn't surprise me considering the large amount of recoil that 17 cal rifle has. :roll: You need a muzzle brake on that cannon  :D

The least amount of recoil I had was from a Ruger #1 in .243 Win and I still had the mentioned situation. You should have seen the bounce from my 338 Win.  :shock: :shock:
In addition the legs still caught on branches etc when folded up.

Facebook Comments