December 12, 2017, 02:37:24 PM

Author Topic: shooting sticks,bipods..  (Read 4765 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: shooting sticks,bipods..
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 11:13:15 PM »
:) Hey BC.
That doesn't surprise me considering the large amount of recoil that 17 cal rifle has. :roll: You need a muzzle brake on that cannon  :D

The least amount of recoil I had was from a Ruger #1 in .243 Win and I still had the mentioned situation. You should have seen the bounce from my 338 Win.  :shock: :shock:
In addition the legs still caught on branches etc when folded up.

Yeah, when no one is around, I put it in the Lead Sled to help dampen the recoil from the monster. :D

I put the bipod on the .17 during the spring and summer when I'm down at the farm.  Usually something around there needs killin'.  I don't pack the thing around though with it on there.  The rifle is heavy enough without adding more weight to it.

A .338 is a panzy gun!  You actually had bounce when you shot it?  That's weird. ???
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

BBF

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 08:59:27 AM »
With the Harris on it, yes.
 When lying on a toboggon(spell check needed) I and the sled would move back a couple of inches every time. That was kind of fun.

FYI  The three worst kicking ordnance I ever had was

1. .375 H&H      Ruger#1 Tropical    custom ported barrel
       2. .300 Weatherby   Re-chambered Ruger#1 rifle
       3. .450 Marlin         factory ported barrel

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 02:31:20 PM »
I've shot a .375 H&H a few times.  They thump you right good, but not enough to really "hurt".  My .444 Marlin kicks almost as much as the .375 H&H.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 06:38:21 PM »
I lost my store bought extending shooting stick while hunting hogs a while back. I still have my BuyFurPod I copied from Varmint Al's site. I used heavier stock, larger cedar square stock.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 09:43:41 PM »
I lost my store bought extending shooting stick while hunting hogs a while back.
Uh I gotta confesion ya didnt "lose" them I borrowed them and accidently broke them but I figured in a couple days ya would forget ya even owned them  ;D
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 09:47:17 PM »
Uh I gotta confesion ya didnt "lose" them I borrowed them and accidently broke them but I figured in a couple days ya would forget ya even owned them  ;D

Sounds like a Plott move. :tickedoff :tickedoff

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 09:28:48 AM »
;D  ;D  ;D Hey, I ain't THAT old  :crazy2 yet!  ;D  ;D  ;D Now just where the heck did I park the truck?  :wink:  :uglystupid2
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

BBF

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 10:08:27 AM »
BC
I liked my .444 Marlin, it did have a good push but not like the .375 H&H or that !@$ 450 Marlin. I never did like straight stocks and I got rid of that mauler quickly. Biggest cal now is a 52 cal muzzleloader I use seldom.

Totally of the subject as the above is.

Yesterday afternoon, the Missus was driving while I was attacking a tub of ice cream. Just before we came to our driveway a black bear popped out of the bush. A good size speciemen at that. Now we know why the dogs go nuts every so often. This is also the first big game we have seen for months.

After more contemplation I realized that yelling Bear, Bear Bear, was not the smartest move I could have made. :idiot2 Under those circumstances the Missus would stand on the brakes yelling, what what or where where while everything in the car including two dogs go flying towards the windshield. :roll:

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 11:21:52 PM by BigBoreFan »

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2007, 08:12:42 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D BBF start out next time by saying "hey,on the side of the road completely out of the way from the vehicle there is a bear you will not hit"

Or would the mere word of animal while behind the wheel warrent the brake standing job?

Facebook Comments