October 17, 2017, 04:26:06 PM

Author Topic: BRING ON THE CHILI!!!!!!!!  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
BRING ON THE CHILI!!!!!!!!
« on: September 20, 2003, 06:01:32 PM »
Here's a couple of recipes to "tickle your taste buds"!!!

2-3 pounds of ground deer meat, 1 pound hot pork sausage, 1-2 onions, 3 cans diced tomatoes, 2 cans kidney beans, 2-3 cans mushrooms, clove garlic, 1/4 cup chile powder, 3 ground (dried) red peppers, salt. Tomato juice as needed.

Brown off sausage, drain (save grease), set aside.
Brown off deer meat in sausage grease, when 2/3 cooked
add chopped up onions. Drain, set aside.

Place everything in a large pot, salt to taste and bring to boil.
Cut back heat to slow simmer for an hour. Check evry 15 minutes. Add tomato juice to the thickness you want.

Add more or less of everything you like.

After simmering, place in fridge and eat the next day. Warm it up and make a pone of cornbread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another one that is a little different, but you've just got to try it!!!!
It uses round steak instead of ground venison. It calls for Masa Harina, which is a super finely milled cornmeal used to make tortillas. Most Kroger stores carry it.

Cube up venison round steaks in quarter inch cubes. I like my chili meaty, so I'll use at least three steaks. Lightly coat the cubes in flour and brown over medium high heat. Remove the meat and set aside. Add a finely chopped onion, a finely chopped green pepper, one chopped dried chili pepper (or a fresh poblano--same pepper), and two chopped cloves of garlic. Saute until the onions are clear. Add one small can of tomato paste, a can of rotel tomatoes and a large can of diced tomatoes and a large can (fill the diced tomato can) of water.Add back the meat. Add 1 tbs of cumin (or more if you like that chili taste), a tsp of cayenne, a tbs of paprika, a dash of ground nutmeg, a dash of allspice and a quarter cup of fresh cilantro if you can find it at the store. Season to taste with salt and black pepper, reduce the heat and simmer through a Winston Cup race or NFL game. Baseball will work in a pinch.
MEANWHILE---in a dry cast iron skillet, toast one cup of masa over medium heat until it's lightly browned and you get a nice toasted corn aroma off of it. It will remind you of doing corn on the grill. Add that into the chili, and bring the chili to a boil, then reduce it back to a simmer. You can do this early or at the end or anywhere in between, but I prefer early.
WARNING--this chili is fairly hot. You can cool it down by substituting diced tomatoes for rotels and backing off the cayenne. I usually go the other way, though, and add a teaspoon of fresh habeneros to it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you may also want to try (it sounds unorthadox) but, this will turn off some of the sissy's in the bunch, but consider actually saving the liver (if you haven't blown it out the deer's nostrils) or getting a bit of beef liver for your chili. The rich taste blends in well with the dish. Cut it finely and add it to the ground meat when browning. You can also get your stew nicely thick by adding a good sized can of refried beans to the mix.

Some of you guys try them and let me know what you think. :D  :twisted:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline catfishsr

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
BRING ON THE CHILI!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 08:17:22 PM »
big 58

\:D/ sounds dang good to me . but you frogot the cold beers to go with the  :twisted: chilli.

cheers  :D \:D/
NONE STAND AS TALL AS THE PERSON WHO BENDS OVER TO HELP A CHILD.

Facebook Comments