December 12, 2017, 06:57:49 AM

Author Topic: would you shoot  (Read 2385 times)

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
would you shoot
« on: August 12, 2007, 12:24:12 AM »
If the buck you had hunted for three years was standing right under your stand straight down in a heavy hunted area would you shoot or pass the shot and hope for another chance someday.
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

Offline IllinoisBoHunter

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • True Happiness is a Steamin Gutpile!!!!!!
Re: would you shoot
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 12:51:49 AM »
Between both shoulder blades....DEAD CENTER!!!!!! O0

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 12:57:32 PM »
I am loosing an arrow, for sure. O0
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 05:00:06 PM »
Had the same EXACT scenario last fall. I passed it up. I had no idea where to aim of what might kill him. If you prepare and know you have a spine crushing set up, why not(I was shooting 45# and thought it would glance the spine and hit 1 lung and he would run for days)? Should be the cleanest kill possible - broken neck.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 11:11:13 PM »
only if I had practiced a similar shot.  A straight down shot seldom has any relation to your usual pin locations. I recall a friend telling me of a similar set up at a archery competition ( pre-dates 3D shoots) using 4 inch "bunny" targets. If I recall, the trick was to sight on the 40 yd pin, at least on his bow.
 This really is a worthwhile shot to practice cuz it could happen.
 Also at a hieght of even 20 ft, I think a solid, square hit from a 45 lb bow on the spine will pretty much anchor the deer right there. The heart is still an attainable target, albeit a small one. As with any shot, if you don't have a high degree of confidence, you should probably pass and practice the scenerio for the next time it presents itself.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 12:55:41 AM »
only if I had practiced a similar shot.  A straight down shot seldom has any relation to your usual pin locations. I recall a friend telling me of a similar set up at a archery competition ( pre-dates 3D shoots) using 4 inch "bunny" targets. If I recall, the trick was to sight on the 40 yd pin, at least on his bow.
 This really is a worthwhile shot to practice cuz it could happen.
 Also at a hieght of even 20 ft, I think a solid, square hit from a 45 lb bow on the spine will pretty much anchor the deer right there. The heart is still an attainable target, albeit a small one. As with any shot, if you don't have a high degree of confidence, you should probably pass and practice the scenerio for the next time it presents itself.

I agree with MO on this one. O0
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 06:23:53 AM »
I had a shot like that several years ago.  When the deer came in, straight below me, I thought, "I can't shoot straight down!  I've never shot straight down!"  I pulled back anyway and centered my 30 yd pin on the spine.  Both my 20 and 40 were still on the deer's rib cage (deer was perpendicular to me) so I thought, anyway I go at it, I'm either going to miss or hit in the rib cage.  Ended up, I hit about a 1/2" to the left of the spine and the arrow came out about 1/2" to the right of center out the bottom of the rib cage. O0 :twisted:  He ran about 30 yds. O0 :twisted:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 12:29:58 PM »
That makes me feel better about last year, BC. I had a perfect shot at a tub of lard 6 pointer last year, and your telling me I just passed it up? That would have been an awsome kill-my first recurve kill.

Offline ohioboy

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 07:58:53 PM »
Somebody must of fallen asleep :buck2 he had to walk from some direction in order to be under your stand. ;D ;D If you want some real excitement jump out and give him the old :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :buck2

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 09:10:40 PM »
Somebody must of fallen asleep :buck2 he had to walk from some direction in order to be under your stand. ;D ;D If you want some real excitement jump out and give him the old :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :buck2

It was thick and he kept coming in straight toward me.  I would have much preferred a broadside or quartering away shot, but hey, beggers can't be choosers. ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments