November 19, 2017, 11:11:54 AM

Author Topic: Mojo Dekes  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Brydawg

• Applied for my club membership...
  • If your Dawg's fat, YOU need more exercise !
Mojo Dekes
« on: August 16, 2007, 12:07:27 AM »
This topic became a heated discussion on another board recently, so lets go easy here.
 Do you think SWD's should be banned ?
 Personally I think they should. They give an unfair advantage to the novice Waterfowler that isn't proficient with their callin' or their block placement, because they really do work, but only on the young birds and the Northern birds.
  I might be inclined to let the Southern hunters use them because the birds are call and decoy shy by the time they get down south.
 I found this pic of a Mojo while surfin' one day and just had to laugh :
"If you feel you're a person of great influence,,, try ordering someone else's Dawg around"

travo

Re: Mojo Dekes
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 09:51:13 PM »
guess im ready to give em up as soon as everyone else does. i personally dont think they help all that much, but i wouldnt go without one, just cuz everyone else has one or two. i have 3 of em.

Offline Brydawg

• Applied for my club membership...
  • If your Dawg's fat, YOU need more exercise !
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 10:35:32 PM »
I've never owned one, but I did hunt ove em' a couple times a few years back. Birds came from across the lake consistantly to check us out because of the SWD's.
 I had my buddie turn them off for an hour just to see if we'd still pull birds in from across the lake,,, and notta bird came in. As soon as he sparked em' up again, we had birds comin' in with their landing gear down.
 We did this off and on experiment 3 weekends in a row and IMO the Mojo is a duck magnet.
 Maybe I'm old fashioned but I like to use the skills I've acquired over the past 38 years of Waterfowlin' to bring birds to my barrel and not some electronic gizmo.
"If you feel you're a person of great influence,,, try ordering someone else's Dawg around"

travo

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 11:27:46 AM »
ive had good luck either way, i guess. if they outlaw mojo's, it will just be wind powered mojos that everyone uses. i dont generally use a mojo unless i am on big water, trying to lure the birds off of a rafted pod out in the middle of the lake. around here, enough ducks have seen the things that unless you turn em off, the ducks wont get into shooting range, because they reconize what they are. i think that there are alot of novices that would have pretty dissapointing seasons if not for these things, and alot may quit. while that would be good for you and i personally as duck hunters, it is not good to lose hunter numbers as a whole. its the same reason i begrudgingly put up with long range rifle hunters. if its the only way that they are gonna shoot something, have at it. do i respect them as much as bow hunters? no way. do i stand by their right to do it? you betcha. when it all comes down to it at the end of the day, the truly great waterfowlers will still outproduce the tech saavy johnny come latelys. theres alot of days when ya gotta know how and when to call, how to shoot, have a good retriever, pay attention to camo, whether or not ya got the magic spinny thing in your spread. around here, at least, ya still gotta finish em. things may be different in your neck of the woods, but as more and more ducks see the robos, more and more ducks wont finish to em. look at snow geese, and how much they have evolved in the last 10 years. used to be, they would raft up by the shore, and you could go out and whack and stack a pile of em. they would fly low, and be more separated. now, they stay high and silo down in the middle of a feild or lake, avoid roads, and travel in larger groups. its gettin harder and harder to kill snow geese, but the truly great hunters who are willing to put in the work still do. i see the same thing happening with the robos.

Facebook Comments