December 10, 2017, 10:58:44 PM

Author Topic: Do your own?  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
Do your own?
« on: September 23, 2003, 12:27:55 PM »
Do you skin and butcher your own kills?  Out of our hunting crowd, it's VERY rare that anyone takes meat to a shop.  However, my cousin told me about a trip he went on last year and some of the guys around there were amazed when he strung up a buck and went to work on hulling it out.  They told him that they just took it to the cooler and picked up the packages later - less trouble.  I was just curious to know which way is more prevalent out there.
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Do your own?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 09:35:55 PM »
The last one I had processed was in 1994, and that was to have the entire thing ground up.

I process my own, and grind the majority of it up into burger (no fat added).  That way, I know I've got my meat and know how it's been handled.

I do have some made up into summer sausage, bratwurst, salami, etc. every couple of years.  I just take the ground meat to a guy and he does it for me.  Talk about some good stuff!!!!!!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline ck

Do your own?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 09:03:22 AM »
I am going to butcher mine this year, this will be a first. Maybe I better get one laying on it's side first. :D  :)  :o

Offline RealtreesWWH

Do your own?
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 08:49:45 PM »
We've always done our own.We used to use my great-grandmas' hand grinder,but we have a new electic  grinder now.I don't really like the idea of some else cutting up my meat.We cut steaks out of the hams and shoulders,sometimes we cut it thin just for jerky.There's alot of folks around here that don't know how to skin a deer.I was helping skin dads before I ever hunted.Talk about funny looks,you should see some of the ones I get when I step up and start skinning or gutting. :roll:  :D
Alabama's TREASURE Forest Program...Setting America's Standards.

Offline Aussie Joe

Do your own?
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2003, 03:59:14 AM »
I always do my own.  I do have an Uncle in New Zealand who takes his to a butcher shop to be cut up and have some minced and made into sausages and then takes some to a bakery to get it made into meat pies.
I'd rather be hunting.

Offline BOWFANATIC

Do your own?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 02:52:44 AM »
Always done my own! That way I know the meat in my freezer is from the deer I harvest.
>>>----Doug--->

Offline southern sun

• Rookie Club Member
Do your own?
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 03:14:21 AM »
we've always butchered our own also. taking it to a processor, you never know what you're getting back. we make deer burger and also our own summer sausage, stuff the socks and smoke it too.
P.S.  I QUIT!  I'M GOIN' HUNTIN'!!

april

hmm
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2003, 12:09:51 PM »
Do my own.   :P

Offline C.N.

• Gut Pile Guide
Do your own?
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2003, 11:11:26 AM »
I've only had 2 deer down. The first one I took the the processer. the second I did it my self and  must admit the butcher did a better job. But I kinda like knowing where the meat I'm eating came from.
"Stop telling God how big your storm is.
Instead, tell the storm how big your God is!"

Facebook Comments