October 21, 2017, 08:20:23 AM

Author Topic: SNOWSHOES? What's to know?  (Read 1194 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
SNOWSHOES? What's to know?
« on: November 21, 2013, 04:34:01 PM »
OK It seams like talking about toilet paper but, I think I'm in the market for some snowshoes.
 First what I think I want in a set is something Kinda short . Defiantly light. I put all my Coyote stuff on the scale the other day and in mid winter I'm packing 32 pounds of stuff. I think I'd use them more in sage brush and CRP grass and 8 to 10 inches of snow, sometimes soft and fluffy but more often in crusty drifted snow that JUST won't hold your weight. Noise, or lack of it may be important too. They have to be able to attach to my Kenetreks and some times the big floppy Sorels.
AND I don't want to pay a BUNCH of $$$
With all the gear on I'd need a weight range near 180 pounds and for a shorty of 5'6" What would I be looking at? Brands? My boy and his wife have a couple of sets they like, but together I probable weigh more. WAY back when I was a kid we would rent some and use them in the mountains, they were long wooden ( beaver tail ?)ones with raw hide stretched over them. THEY sucked and I didn't think they worked very well. Any one have any input? the wife is looking for a Christmas present for me ,this may be it.
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Re: SNOWSHOES? What's to know?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 06:08:29 PM »
Sorry D. Can't help you much on this one. I've spent most of my life in the DEEP south, so I have never used a pair of snowshoes in my life! Not sure if I would know how to :idiot2 :uglystupid2 :tickedoff ??? put them on!!
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: SNOWSHOES? What's to know?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 09:31:15 AM »
Same here, I have no experience with snowshoes except for seeing them hanging on walls in AK.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments