October 23, 2017, 07:46:17 AM

Author Topic: Best Jerky?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
Best Jerky?
« on: September 23, 2003, 12:32:14 PM »
My family can really put a hurtin' on some jerky.  (my oldest son had it constantly when he was teething  :D )  Up until last year, we had a pretty good deal worked out with someone that would make the jerky for us in exchange for some of the meat.  With that gone,  I'm thinking about trying to make some of my own this year.  Anyone have any tips?  

- Do you guys / gals (WWH!) grind it or slice it?

- What's the best jerky kit out there?  

Let me know what you think.

GP
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Best Jerky?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 09:31:44 PM »
I've tried it just about every way possible. :shock:   Some good, some bad.  The easiest way that I've found is with ground meat (no fat in the meat).  I've also tried quite a few of the "mix-it-yourself" recipies.  I gave up on them and use Hi Mountain cure.  They make some Cracked Pepper and Garlic seasoning that will make your tongue slap your brains loose!!! :P

Take the ground meat and mix according to recipe.  Take a ball of meat and put it down on some wax paper.  Take another sheet of wax paper and put it on top.  Use a rolling pin and flatten out.  Take a good sharp knife and slice the stuff into strips.  Peel up off of the wax paper and lay into a dehydrator.  That's it!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Best Jerky?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2003, 07:21:59 PM »
A guy at work told me he makes jerky using the meat of wild turkey and his food dryer. He says that is the best way he has found to eat wild turkey. I can beleive him! I have never had any luck cooking it and having it rated above" just edible".
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Best Jerky?
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 07:34:58 PM »
Hey John, you're not doing it right!  On the turkey breast, slice it, roll it in some Kentucky Colonel Seasoned Flour, and then deep fry!  OMG!!!   :P  :D

As far as the legs and thighs, cook them in a crock pot with chicken broth, parsley, and an onion or two.  When the meat's falling off the bone, take it out and then take all of the bones out and tear it into pieces (take the onions out also).  In a separate pot, cook up some egg noodles.  Once the noodles are done, put the noodles and turkey back in the chicken broth and let it simmer for a little while.  It will make your tongue slap your brains loose! :D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Best Jerky?
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 02:06:03 AM »
Bigcal58. thanks! One time I cooked a turkey in a browning bag. I was considering throwing away the turkey and eating the bag. I'll try your way, it sounds pretty good!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Best Jerky?
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2003, 07:36:42 AM »
The legs and thighs on a wild turkey are too tough for just about anything other than a crock pot.  You don't have to use egg noodles.  Any kind of noodles will do.  The one I gave is really simple with not many ingredients.  If you want, try some other spices in there.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments