November 21, 2017, 07:09:25 AM

Author Topic: Hogs with Dogs tonight...  (Read 8706 times)

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
Re: Hogs with Dogs tonight...
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2006, 01:03:45 PM »
I just hope you don't bump into a Gay Sasquatch buddy   O0 O0

Yeah, speaking of Gay Sasquatches, where have Morax and Marlin been? ;D :twisted: 8)
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2006, 02:19:25 AM »
We went out again tonight to run some areas that we hadn’t been to before and got into the Hogs.  We let the dogs go and not 15 min later they took off into the brush to the east south east of where we were (Stockdale, Tx).  We cut off the truck so that we could hear better, and everyone go out to listen.  The air was thick with the humidity of impending rain and the occluded stars and moon gave no light.  After 5min of silence we heard the far off bark of the dogs which was drowned out by the first distant roll of thunder.  The strike dogs were too far off to let the catch dogs go, so we leashed them up, I marked the truck on my gps, and we took off into the brush. After a half a mile and three fences we were close enough that we could clearly hear the dogs barking and fighting with what sounded like a big hog, so we turned out Shelia and Link and took off at a run following them.  Right about then we heard a high yelp of pain from one of the dogs, and that cry from one of your four legged hunting buddies really gets your butts in gear.  It is a cry that tells you that they are pouring their hearts out trying to hold down the fort until you get there, and get there we did.  I lost my hat as did one of the other guys, and neither of us gave a second thought to stopping to look for them.  We reached the dogs quickly and due to a handy tree I was able to get behind the hog and quickly control its back legs allowing my hunter to get to work with his knife.  Now, this chap performed a maneuver that I will not recommend any sane person attempt if they like their current appearance in a mirror.  He lay down on his back and slid himself up under the hog and began to stab straight up into the chest cavity.  This was not only a bad idea due to the close proximity of his head to the hog’s teeth, but as well he was under the pile of excited dogs and was quickly becoming covered in blood.  The dogs are well trained and had all latched onto the hog as soon as I had its legs, and much to my relief they all ignored the man performing his own brand of surgery on the hog.  I had visions of lawyers dancing around in glee trying to be the one to sue me over a client that had made himself appear more hoggish than one out to in the present company…But I digress.  The hog was what I estimate to be a 200-225lb boar, however most of the other hunters thought it was at least 300lbs if not 325.  I disagree, they are all morons anyways  :) ;D O0!  But they were awfully happy, and I imaging at the office tomorrow the hog will have gained another 2-400lbs by the time the story telling is done.  We started to inspect the dogs and found that one of the lead strike dogs, Red, had a nasty cut on his flank.  He took a tooth that went in under his skin, but luckily didn’t puncture his abdomen and cut his intestines etc, and the tooth gave him a 5in gash and separated a palm sized flap of skin from his side.  He wasn’t bleeding much and seemed no worse for the wear, so we let him walk back to the truck.  Under the lights we discovered that lots of skin been separated and he was going to need a lot more stitches than we originally thought.  These are some very tough dogs that have been hunting hogs their whole life and Red sat still while one of the guys gave him 30 stitches…with no anesthetic!!  Not even one whimper!!  When it was all over he looked at us and wagged his tail and I truly think that he would have gone back to hunting if we had let him.  It then started to rain and we called it a night.  What a hunt…
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline sticker pt

• A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2006, 06:49:02 AM »
 well wittin i feel like i was reading a story out of hog hunting magazine man that sound's  fun ( watching from the bed of the pick up. ME  )  sound's like your hunter had bigger ball's then that boar did. keep the hog hunt trips comingand how about some pit's .   p.s do you do any hoging with gun/bow?
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2006, 07:56:23 AM »
AB JointOutfitters - What an impressive story, very well written, I almost felt like I was there.  Did you ever ask that moron hunter what possessed him to crawl under the boar and stab upward?  That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  Other than that, I hope Red make a full recovery, sounds like one heck of a dog.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2006, 08:56:34 AM »
Dang. that had to be a hair raiser!  :shock: It's a wonder the hog didn't eat that guy, dogs or no dogs!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2006, 10:45:33 AM »
Wow, AB. You seriously ought to think about sending that one in to some of the outdoor mags and see what happens. I know they don't pay a LOT, but at 3 - 5 cents per word, there's some money to get Red a bone.  :roll: On the other hand, keep up with stories like that and you'll have magazines looking forward to your entries. O0
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2006, 08:48:26 PM »
Wow.. Thanks guys!! :)   My hat isn't going to fit when I put it on later!  Its strange, but today before I got home and read the replies I saw an add in the free publication from Sportsmans Warehouse about a contest for the best story.  The winner gets a week long salmon fishing trip in alaska, a rifle and a whole bunch of other stuff.  I have always been a sucker for a little competition, however it is very fierce in the literary world.  Maybe I will give it a shot.... :)  Thanks again..

This weekend I have booked some more hunts for the hogs and dogs, so hopefully I will have another story for you...minus the crazy under the hog approach.  That is something that I am going to have to add to my safety briefing under "what not to do"!!  I am also looking forward to the "baying" competition that is going on this weekend.  It is a competition where hog dogs are turned loose in a pen with a big boar and are judged on their performance.  Kind of like sheep hearding contest on steroids.  The guy that runs my hunts for me is entering some of our dogs and he thinks there is a chance with all the work they have had lately that they could win!!  More details to come..
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Facebook Comments