November 19, 2017, 12:08:59 AM

Author Topic: Killed A Fly Today!  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Killed A Fly Today!
« on: May 23, 2004, 09:58:47 PM »
Ordinarily, this wouldn't be that big of a deal.  But this poor thing happened to land on my target while I was shooting! :D   I was all focused in on the bull, getting ready to put some pressure on the trigger..............when I noticed a fly had landed on the target! :twisted:   60 yds away!  I can't say for sure it was a head shot, but I'm guessing it was pretty close! :D   About all that was left was a little bit of blood on the paper. 8)   I'm guessing the equivilent would be like shooting a turkey with a rocket launcher! :mrgreen:  :shock:

On a side note, I pumped 71 rounds through the .17 HMR today sighting it in after the trigger I put in (well, actually 70 if you take out the one for the fly!).  Dead on at 60 yds (dime-sized groups), about 1/4" high at 100 yds (dime-sized groups), and about 1/8" low at 25 yds (all I could make out were 2-3 of the 5 shot group).  I'M READY FOR SQUIRREL SEASON!!!!!!!!!!  It opens in 2 weeks.  I'll be chomping at the bit to get out there!

BTW, I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Camp Talk section, but I figured that it should go here.  Pretty hard to get much smaller game than a fly!!! :D  :D  :D  :D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Killed A Fly Today!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 10:14:35 PM »
good shot B.C., but I heard somewhere that that kill may not be legal....
A little bird told me that you bait flys with sugar water on your targets.....
Now I'm sure that it is a big mistake and that you would do no such thing.... :D

Just kidding....

on a related note, while I am waiting for a few squirrel hides or tails, I have decided to train my dog to hunt flies.... right now there are many targets with the weather being warm, and she is a willing hunter, unfortunately there isn't much meat on them so I usualy let her have the quarry....
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Killed A Fly Today!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 10:43:08 PM »
Baiting is legal for flies in KY. 8)   I take every advantage I can get!!!!!

Has your pup got any horse flies yet?  Now those are "trophy" proportion!  Talk about giving the dog a "buzz" too!!!! :shock:  :D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline squirrelslayer

• Gut Pile Club Member
Killed A Fly Today!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 10:49:06 PM »
my season started saturday didnt get to go out. but this coming satuday im goin out. but this weekend i got to shoot my gun, shot good and 25 yards but when iwent out to 50 i wasnt doin to good. im goin to blame it on the wind this time. :oops:
i love shootin squirrel in the head

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Killed A Fly Today!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 10:59:38 PM »
Sounds like "operator error"! :D   Squirrelslayer, more than likely, you just need to shoot more.  I shoot every chance I get, but still, my first couple of groups today were crap.  After I settled down and got in the "groove", everything was liquid!  You just need to get more shooting time in.  Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will your accuracy skills.  You've just got to burn a bunch of powder to get there, which I'm sure won't be a problem! :D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Killed A Fly Today!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 12:43:49 PM »
BC, that's some good shooting! Which is the norm for you, I think. You are right about practice to get there and stay sharp. I hear they now have an open season on flies in KY. On RimfireCentral forum I saw some posting about shooting some flies on a target--- pictures and all. It was pretty good. They have good rimfire and seperate .17 sections worth investigating. You can see the full potiential of the .17 there. Look for Old Hickory there, I'm not hard to find. I like this forum the most, best folks, lots of fun! How-to-cook here, too. Hey, what's the best fixin's for vaporized flies, anyhow? When a person get a bunch fried up, is everyone grabbing for drumsticks? Yeah, I guess we would have to go for headshots, huh? One other thing, I think you NUKED that fly!  =D>  :D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments