November 24, 2017, 07:40:19 AM

Author Topic: First time hog hunting  (Read 3136 times)

Offline oldkuntryboy

First time hog hunting
« on: September 16, 2007, 04:13:28 PM »
alright guys i am going hog hunting for the first time tomorrow, i have been wanting to shoot one for a long time

anyway where i am hunting this year is loaded with hogs and i want to shoot one while i am out scouting for bow season

so what advice can yall give me or what do i need to look for or be aware of ?

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: First time hog hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 04:21:15 PM »
All  kidding aside, always have a good climbing tree close, if you can. And, pack plenty of firepower. Hogs love hunters, their favorite chew toys. Good luck with the hogs, ok!  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline oldkuntryboy

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 05:07:03 PM »
i hope my traditions black powder has enough to put him down for good

i wanted to take my bow and shoot with it and use the black powder as a backup but the warden dont like that

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 07:43:49 PM »
You need around 5 good bay dogs and 2 good catch dogs,A 5' knife or bigger and a video camera.Show us the video when your done

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 11:19:23 AM »
Actually, one of the best things you can have along is a hunting pal. A pal you can outrun, that is.  :twisted:  ;D That's what worried me when plott and I were hog hunting. I knew he could outrun me.  :shock:  ;D Rascal plott knew it too.  ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline oldkuntryboy

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 08:26:25 PM »
thanks guys, no luck this morning

gonna try again tomorrow

BBF

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 09:35:20 PM »
Forget the bow unless you are in a tree, pack the smokepole and for backup pack a pistol of some serious caliber if you got one.
Running with a musket and a bow doesn't sound competetive to me :wink:

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 10:50:17 AM »
thanks guys, no luck this morning

gonna try again tomorrow

It's pretty much hit and miss without dogs, unless you have a fantastic place to hunt. I've been to our hunting place several times and still no shot. Twice we were messed up by hikers.  >:( At least it's not far from home, about 35 miles.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 09:37:22 PM »
It's pretty much hit and miss without dogs, unless you have a fantastic place to hunt. I've been to our hunting place several times and still no shot. Twice we were messed up by hikers.  >:( At least it's not far from home, about 35 miles.

Well I got conformation today that after Oct 2nd I know a couple of guys with a few dogs that would sure like to help you out in that quest for some piggies!  O0 O0

Facebook Comments