November 21, 2017, 05:42:00 PM

Author Topic: This is how it went down!  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Tenderfoot

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • John Andrews is my hero
This is how it went down!
« on: September 26, 2007, 09:52:18 PM »
Set my alarm for 5:30...woke up at 5:00(way too excited for another half hour of sleep...having aural halucinations per usual before a big hunt....the shotguns ring in my head)! I double cheack my fire extinguisher, licenses, permits, duck stamp and whistle. Grab the gun and hook the trailer up. I drive through the cold foggy morning in the solitude of an early saturday morning. The stillness reaks of duck. I get to the lake only to find myself thinking "what am I doing...I don't know the first thing about duck hunting...what are the limits...this lake is pitch black, I can't see my hand in front of my face, I haven't a call, a decoy or a hope in the world." My anticipation drives me on as I shove my dear into the gator-infested black waters.  I ste the shotgun into the baot and head off away from the other flickering lights dotting the lakes surface...where I am humming with the motor I do not know, but i try not to tick anybody off by setting up next to them. Gliding along over the surface, not being able to distinguish air from the dark-crystal lake, i scan for big'uns trying to eat me...all that goes through my head is "where are those lilly-pads" and "what the heck happoned to that Michael guy who dispaeared duck hunting 7 years ago...he was experienced, knew what he was doing and just disapeared...i am a hopless solo rookie. I'm doomed for sure." I then truely start to doubt weather i should be on the water, just as i pull up to a patch of pads where my friend had a confrontation with a big'un gator same time last year.  I sit in the silence as i drape the cover over my vessel and listen to the gar slap the minnows on the surface. 1 hour of silent anxiety later and shooting light starts. I put my ear-plugs in, but fail to load my gun, besides I'd never shoot anything anyways. Oww dang, 2 ducks just flew straight over my head! well, i blew that chance, this was a fun morning....wait, here come 3 more. I shoulder the gun, put a bead on him slowly squeeze the trigger and pull....the duck falls headfirst straight into the water! "what the heck....I actualy hit a flying duck! Its a miracle" after 4 minutes of jubilation another flock of teal fly by and I nail one, pump and nail the other. (at the time it hadn't stuck me that i'd managed to hit a double. the motion just came natural) then after making sure to note where they land I look over my shoulder and nail a huge thing flying by. I try to hit his mate and fail to connect. i was on such a role I hardly thought about the limit. I call to the guys sitting a a blind near me to ask them the limit..."2 woods or 4 teal" they hollar back. I had no idea how to identify the birds, so i go to scoop them up and id them. i get them and am still confused as to what they are. So, i got my 4 ducks and check my watch"10 minutes till sunrise!" I just shot my limit in the first 20 minutes of the season. I don't want to go in just yet, so I do a bit of fishing and shoot the breeze with the duck-men as they motor back to the ramp...apparently I was the only other guy to shoot his limit that day, and probably the first in the whole county! 5 shots, 2 teal, 2 hen wood ducks....thanks for all of your encouragemnt, support and tips guys. I couldn't have done it without ya'll! thanks Trav! That was an amazing morning!

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
Re: This is how it went down!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 10:01:55 PM »
wow those pics are awsome.Makes me wish I did all that O0

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 10:15:34 AM »
My neighbor helping me pose some ducks -3 retreiveable ducks(the last fell in the bog).

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 08:32:13 PM »
What no head shots?

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 09:42:58 PM »
They were headshots! Can't you see the beak looks like swiss cheese? Their faces were completely obliterated!

Oh, I see what you meant....and no. I am apparently the only one vaguely capable of operating a camera around here(plus I don't trust you guys being able to recognize me).

travo

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 12:48:02 PM »
tenderfoot, ive only got one thing to say to ya................HELL YEAH!!!!! atta boy!!! i coulndt be more proud of ya. nice job. well, that outta get the old fowlin juices flowin. O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

Facebook Comments