November 15, 2018, 05:02:36 AM

Author Topic: Disappointing afternoon.....  (Read 1832 times)

Offline Nick_T

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Can I shoot one time?
Disappointing afternoon.....
« on: September 30, 2007, 09:21:21 PM »
Decided to give them a try solo this afternoon, took the wheeler and headed to the far side of the orchard. When I get there I see a large squirrel making his way out of the pecans and into the pines, about 3 rows up. Knew it was a fox squirrel by its' size. Grabbed the gun, my kids Scout, out of the case and jacked a round in it and jogged up to the spot the critter entered the woods, my cover had been blown anyhow, might as well get there as quick as possible. I spot limbs moving a few trees in, dang they're fast and I get the scope on him. It's the solid black fox that eluded me last season. I track him with the scope, then he makes a bad decision by going out on a dead end pine limb, no where to go. He stops to figure out his next move, and I'm getting a good bead on him, he turns around and sits there in the few needles at the end hoping he is covered. I make a slight adjustment, and send one down range, somewhere around 45 yards. Down he comes, I jack a fresh round in and high five myself, as I'm gong in to collect my prize. I get to the tree, look around, nothing, I broaden the search area, still nothing. Now I'm starting to replay the shot in my mind, everything looked right, he wasn't making a controlled fall, so what he heck is going on. I look for about 30 minutes, and finally give it up, but went back about 3 hrs later and looked again, still couldn't find a thing. I don't know if I just nicked him or maybe shot the little limb out from under his feet. I know ya'll are thinking why beat yourself up over a squirrel but this one was going on the wall, he was as good as a 18" 8pt'er or a set of 1 1/4 spurs to me. I just hope that if I did hit him that it was just a glancing blow, cause the way he eluded me last season, I would hate for our game of cat and mouse to end like this. I've only seen 2 solid black foxes around here, one found someone's tire last week on a road near our house, and this was the other one. Makes me sick.

Nick T

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
Re: Disappointing afternoon.....
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 09:58:26 PM »
Man that sucks! With an HMR you would have found it where it fell.

Hopefully you wounded it and it can come back a bit smarter than before.Make your game a bit more exciting O0

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 08:58:29 AM »
That's a bummer, Nick! Maybe you haven't seen the last of that squirrel. I've shot squirrels that were healed up from previous wounds and injuries.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Nick_T

• Can I shoot one time?
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 09:20:35 AM »
I hope that is the case, really would love to have him perched on the mantle. Been going over the "what ifs", what if I had my Special, what if I had been carrying my shotgun. I'm taking a couple days off the end of this week and taking out some fustrations out on a few grays. They'll pay for this in his behalf.

Nick T

Offline rifle-man

• Cur......cur this!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 05:29:11 PM »
Maybe ya just shot the limb out from under him . Or maybe just a graze , then when ya get him later on , there'll be a little more story to tell when someone is admiring him in the mantle  O0  O0
If ya can't run with the BIG dawgs........ just stay on the porch !  O0

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 12:09:49 AM »
Maybe ya just shot the limb out from under him . Or maybe just a graze , then when ya get him later on , there'll be a little more story to tell when someone is admiring him in the mantle  O0  O0

Spokin like a true .22 shooter ;D ;D

Us .17 guys don`t remember "grazing" one...they all seem to fall and lay in one spot leaking all over the timber floor ;D

Offline Nick_T

• Can I shoot one time?
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 07:54:13 AM »
Spokin like a true .22 shooter ;D ;D

Us .17 guys don`t remember "grazing" one...they all seem to fall and lay in one spot leaking all over the timber floor ;D

And it would be kinda like taking a peice of hamburger meat to the taxidermist and asking him/her to make a squirrel out of it.

;D

Nick T

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 01:07:22 PM »
And it would be kinda like taking a peice of hamburger meat to the taxidermist and asking him/her to make a squirrel out of it.

;D

Nick T
;D A fella would have to use the 20gr ammo to have a squirrel to mount if you want a controlled exit wound instead of the VMax explosion. I carry a box of the 20gr with me for larger game such as varmints while I squirrel hunt with the HMR 17gr VMax.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments