October 21, 2017, 12:47:59 AM

Author Topic: SCOPES FOR HUNTING  (Read 579 times)

Offline black bear 84

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
SCOPES FOR HUNTING
« on: October 07, 2007, 07:45:38 AM »
SCOPES

Hi guys,
I have been using scopes for forty years, and have had enough experience with them that I decided to post a few lines that may be of help to the new hunter.

My friends consider me a little extreme concerning optics and scopes in particular, since my hunting rifles usually have as many as three scopes.

That is right! And the reason for that is my fear of Murphy spoiling my hunt. You know what I mean, Murphy’s Law, "if something can go wrong it will?"
Also my motto concerning equipment is that two is one and one is none, so based on that premise my rifles have a spare pre-sighted scope and rings carried in the backpack.
Also, another scope of the total opposite magnification is also carried in the backpack to take care of those situations where the main scope will be too much or too little.
For example, in my Remington 742 in 30-06, I have a Bushnell 1 ˝ to 6x Lite Site as a main scope when I hunt in Maine over bait for bears (at very short distance and the scope is kept at 1˝x).  The spare scope is a Bushnell 3x9 Lite Site, and the low light, long range scope is a Leupold Vary X III 3˝ to 10x50 mm with an illuminated reticle. This scope was needed when a farmer spotted a big bear at the edge of a big field dining on clover.

THE REMINGTON 742 AND THE SCOPES

The outfitter switched me from the bait to this new location where the closest shot I will had was over 250 yards. Of course, the change in location makes the switch to the Leupold  long range scope imperative, and also a change from the 30-06 180 grain round nose ammo I was using over the bait, to the ammo that I had sight in  the long range scope, a spitzer 150 grains reload.
Another of my rifles that I plan to use in Alaska (when I get to go in my long-postponed trip for bear) is a RemingtonM-700 in 300 W.M.
It wears a 3x9 Leupold on Leupold Quick Detach Weaver style rings, and as a second scope, a Leupold Vary X III 1 ˝ to 5 Illuminated reticle.
The spare scope is a Leupold Vary X II 1x to 4x with a heavy duplex, what is considered a shotgun scope. That way, if I have to go in the alders thickets looking for a wounded bear, I will have the right magnification in the 1x scope, plenty of field of view and also good eye relief for quick shooting.
Through the years I have used several mounts, all quick detachable.  The mounts that I trust to take abuse more than any other are the Leupold Quick Detach Weaver style that can be mounted on Leupold Weaver bases, Weaver, or a Picattiny rail.
Weaver bases can be found for any rifle ever made, which make the system very versatile.

LEUPOLD QUICK DETACH WEAVER STYLE

I also use the Leupold Quick Detach system that uses a post in the ring to enter a hole in the base and is locked by turning a lever, a very elegant system and very good at preserving the point of impact without change after repeated removals.
In the past, I have used the Redfield JR or SR system complemented with the Pilkington Quick Detach lever.  This worked very well for me in several rifles, if I took the precaution of case-harden the top of the front base and dove-tail of the front ring, to avoid excessive wear in repeated removals.

THE REDFIELD-PILKINGTON SYSTEM OF QUICK DETACH

If you think that having three scopes for each rifle is too much of a bother, just think of the benefits of having a long range scope when a long shot is needed or having one of low magnification when the terrain change into a close woods or jungle.  Besides, you never knows when Mr. Murphy can surface, and make you drop your rifle in the rocks or fog your on-board scope.

I have had many scopes of many brands, with the exception of the high ticket European specialty scopes with big objectives. In my way of thinking, even though I like good optics, it is unnecessary to spend over a $1,000 for a scope for low light use, when most North American hunting is restricted to a ˝ hour before sunrise and a ˝ hour after sunset.
For me, the scope is the aiming system.  It has to be reliable in the adjustment and takes recoil as well as be water and fog proof.  The optics need to be good, but not necessarily the best of the best, as the real hunt, evaluation of the trophy, and study of the feasibility of the shot is usually done over a good pair of binoculars.  The actual shooting and the looking trough the scope takes less than a minute, often very much less.
I am doing very well with the Leupold brand, as I trust their waterproof scopes and positive click adjustments that will not move under heavy recoil, but I have had good experiences with Bausch & Lomb scopes and Bushnell’s also, and I don’t have anything bad to say of the Tasco, Simmons, or other scopes I own.

Protecting the optics from dust and rain is very important. I rely mostly on Buttler Creek scope cover or the Bikini covers, and I sometimes cover them to protect their finish and guards from bumps with a Buttler Creek or Cabela’s Scope Cover, which is made of shock absorbing neoprene and will protect the scope during transportation or while in storage.

All the best,

Black Bear

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: SCOPES FOR HUNTING
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 09:53:57 AM »
That's really good, black bear!  O0 I have always wondered if those quick detatch mounts were actually good. Apparently they are, considering your experience with them.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Jackjustice59

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 05:31:08 PM »
I am new to optics, been getting some insight from this site on how to choose scopes.

http://whitetail.versus.com/videoLarge.aspx?vid=183

Thought I ask you guys how do you choose your scope?

BBF

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 11:44:22 AM »
Having multiple scopes for a particular rifle is a good idea. I set up the main rifle for the season with two scopes, not always the same ammo depending on the area or game hunted. ie my setup this year is for the Rem 760 Carbine(30-06). One blind would give me a shot at no more then 30 yards and for this situation the rifle has a fixed 3X Weaver. The ammo is a mild handload with 150 gr Sierra roundnose bullets.

The other scope sighted in for that rifle is a 3-9 mil dot zeroed to 200 yards for a full house handload using 150 gr Speer Mag Points.

The scope is the most fragile item on your hunting equipment combo but that doesn't mean your rifle is indestructible either. :wink: For any hunting trips that put me away from home turf I will take two rifles with me rather then extra scopes. Depending on the area, one could be long range the other for short to medium or both for the same conditions.

The Missus shoots a Rem 742 in 30-06 with a Leupold 3-9 and that is the third rifle I could use as we both shoot about the same with it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 11:58:42 AM by BBF »

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 02:52:27 AM »
You know, when I was a kid reading every hunting/shooting mag and book I came across, The multi scope idea crossed my mind but I got scoffed at by the more experienced hunters and shooters around me. It just seemed to make sense to me, after all one caliber can fit many applications and has widely varying charactoristics pending on the load details. Most thought it best to resight when changing loads, possibly to note the difference in settings and just count clicks. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that this makes sense to.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Facebook Comments