November 22, 2017, 11:46:47 AM

Author Topic: best shot  (Read 1929 times)

travo

best shot
« on: November 13, 2007, 11:26:14 PM »
what is the best shot you have ever made with a shotgun? mine had to be last weekend, with my grandpa's 12 guage. about 80 yards, crossing shot, full choke. i cant believe the sucker fell. anyone got any good stories?

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
Re: best shot
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 08:59:44 AM »
Year before last, while rabbit hunting, my dogs flew a big grouse out of a thicket, and he came straight down this bush-hogged road that I was standing in-right at my head!!! As I squatted down, he saw me and began to pull up, but I still felt the wind off him. I then pivoted around and drew down on him but the neighbors barn was directly behind him. After he got about 50-60 yds out, he finally cleared the roofline and I turned it loose. At that range, I wouldn't have had any idea if I connected, but I watched him lock his wings and heard him glance off the tin roof of the barn O0. He was still very much alive, but I was able to get Lexus in there and she ran him down and made her very first retrieve.
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 10:35:59 AM »
I remember some favorite running cat shots that connected, one at least 200 yards with a 7.65 Argentine Mauser I owned. The cat was running across a plowed field, going flat out after my pal missed the cat 3 times with my rifle. I took a shot that connected right behind the cat's shoulder. It rained cat when the Norma round connected.

I nailed another cat that was running through a big trash heap in a pasture ravine. I was groundhog and cat hunting with an old Winchester Model 70 .270 I owned. All I saw was a flash of the cat between two mounds of trash, an opening only a foot or so. I snapped off a shot from the hip at about 80 yards that caught the cat right in the middle of its body.  It rained cat that day, too.  :twisted:

I shot an old boar cinnamon bear, killed him just feet from me with an old Stevens double barreled 12GA. It was a snap shot that took him in his neck, right in the spine. I didn't even have time to put the shotgun to my shoulder, just swing and shoot.  :shock: I had one barrel loaded with a slug and other barrel loaded with a cut load. With no time to be selective, I just snapped the shotgun around and pulled the trigger. I didn't know which barrel I cut loose with until I opened the action of the old cannon after the bear stopped flopping.

One more, a few years ago, a rainy cold night at work. A fella "accidentally"  :wink: hit a big buck with his old pickup. The deer was injured and hobbled away from the road. My LT called me on the radio and dispatched me to meet up with the fella and finish the deer.
When I arrived to the scene it was well after dark, lightly raining and foggy. The deer was limping away with a broken leg.

Back then we carried issued old 'Smith stainess .38 Specials, revolvers loaded with regulation issue ball ammo.

The deer stopped probably 70-80 yards away  when I whistled at him, and turned and faced us. I held my Maglite over my raised pistol, cocked the hammer, and squeezed the trigger.

The deer dropped like a sack of 'taters, dead before he hit the ground. The hunter looked at me and said, "WOW! WHAT A SHOT"! Unknown to him, I was as surprised as he was, but didn't let on to him.  :wink:  ;D

We loaded the big buck into his truck and we proceeded to HQ. The fella, Tim, spent the next hour telling my fellow officers and the LTs about the greatest shot he had ever seen. Me, I just rolled my eyes and grinned.  :roll:  ;D Everyone gets lucky now and then.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

travo

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 11:07:23 PM »
rainin cat. i like that. :twisted:

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 09:27:45 AM »
rainin cat. i like that. :twisted:
Why, thank you, travo.  :) That is one of the most beautitul scenes, a nice day, sun out, and it's raining pieces of varmint after the explosion of the high velocity bullet.  :twisted:  :)

Yesterday I shot almost straight up, shot a fox squirrel that rained pieces of its head all around me. That sounds graphic, but that's what happened.  :twisted: "Graphic detail" just a description used by folks that have minimal intestinal fortitude and don't make it rain pieces of critters.  :twisted:  ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 07:42:39 PM »
My best was the double(teal) of opening morning this sept. I have since wasted 2 boxes and hit nothing. I am planning on hitting the skeet range this week.

Facebook Comments