August 21, 2018, 05:43:09 PM

Author Topic: Snipe hunting memories  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Tenderfoot

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • John Andrews is my hero
Snipe hunting memories
« on: November 27, 2007, 04:28:04 PM »
I think that I found MY ideal query in the dumb bird that is the snipe. I've been traipsing around the lake-beds looking for deer lately and decided that since dove were out of season I would bring some #9 out with me in case of a snipe attack. I've been out 3 times and loved every second of it. This is my sport...for the young and the restless! Slogging through a bog, knee deep in mud, hoping for a shot or two at one of the hardest birds to hit...and then when you miss they simply circle around your head and laugh just at about 3 feet out of range! They taunt me! The funniest thing happened to me this morning, when I finaly came upon a snipe and swung my torso to follow him, the weight shifted on my feet and caused me to suddenly drop another 18 inches straight into the mud. Just before I squeeze the trigger pshump...I'm 3' tall! Anyways, I recomend snipe hunting to anybody with some excess energy and a need to check/crush their ego! Any other snipers around gps?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 09:09:39 PM by Tenderfoot »

Offline C.N.

• Gut Pile Guide
Re: Snipe hunting memories
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 06:04:55 PM »
The only snipe huntin I ever did took place at night , in the woods. And usually consisted of taking young kids out , leaving them holding a bag on a trail , while the adults slowly crept off with all the flashlights. Its great fun down here in the south.
"Stop telling God how big your storm is.
Instead, tell the storm how big your God is!"

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 09:07:57 PM »
Yeah, I've been "snipe hunting" about 30 times, our variation is tpractically the same butusually includes stomping as a means of attracting them. And down here in FL, you got New Yorkers flying in like skeeters, so you never run out of suckers to play that one on! Good times!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 08:33:12 PM »
Yeah, I've been "snipe hunting" about 30 times, our variation is tpractically the same butusually includes stomping as a means of attracting them.

You'd think he would have learned after the first time. :roll:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 09:02:58 AM »
I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed...
But speaking of snipe, it only took me 20 rounds to finaly nail one. This morning I saw some movement out in the swamp in a little patch of grass on the end of a peninsula of solid ground. So I started walking down the peninsula with deep mud on both sides of me and flushed him. He did about 4 zigs and zags then flew straight at me, so I beaded him and nailed him at about 5 yards. He fell into the mud at my feet with a loud SQUAPAHHHT, not 5 feet from me...very retreivable, which was lucky with the mud around me. Nothing was sticking out but his pointy little beak(which should have been my first clue...birds fall head first when dead) and I take a step ahead and pull on that beak. As soon as the wings are out of the mud he flies off another 2 yards...into the deep mud. So now I cannot reach him and he's fluttering around injured. So I wait 1 min to see if he would die. But it was only a marginal shot and it wasn't looking likely. I had no sticks stones or anything to beat him with, and I couldn't reach him so I had to do the ethical thing and put him out of his misery-even if that meant I'd have nothing to show for my first kill. So, I put another shell into the 12 ga and blew that guy about 10' high and even further into the mud. And I haven't seen him since. I got no proof that snipe actualy exist now(The yankee friends who had gone "snipe" hunting in days gone by are a bit suspicious that they even exist) And that's the way my cookie crumbled.

Facebook Comments