December 17, 2017, 02:44:31 PM

Author Topic: Deer Roping  (Read 5469 times)

Offline Juandogg

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • When in Doubt DTFB
Re: Deer Roping
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2007, 09:17:42 AM »
Plott,
  Where were you in 1965 to 68
hell I wasnt even a twinkle in the eye yet
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2007, 11:15:05 AM »
Plott,
  Where were you in 1965 to 68 when I was rodeoin up in Iowa and the surroundin states durin the summer months. We think alike and I bet if we met up we woulda raised some hell. I've dropped my loop on some scary critters that made them ole horses I was on hope I wasn't tied hard and fast.  ;D Those were the good old days when we could still make good money here in Florida huntin cows. All but a few of the big ranches have gone to houseing developers. Its pretty sad.  :sad:
Yep, sure is! Some of those days were good, some real bad. You rodeoed in Ft. Madison, by chance?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Pegleg

• Rookie Club Member
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2007, 05:33:04 AM »
I'm pretty sure I worked the rodeo in Ft. Madison in 67 but we missed it the last year I was up there. I did work two rodeos in Ottumwa in 68 the arena was set up in a field west of the Bluebird Bus factory. Most of the shows in those days were in portable arena's at county fairs.
  A bunch of us used to rent a farmhouse every summer from Alvin Curry just south of Milan, Ill. We worked construction during the week and rodeoed on the weekends. I wish I still had all those scrap books and pix from back then. I had all that stuff and more in my truck camper and some bastage stole my rig and set it afire.
"Kinky is using a feather." "Perverted is using the whole chicken."

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2007, 09:28:41 AM »
I'm pretty sure I worked the rodeo in Ft. Madison in 67 but we missed it the last year I was up there. I did work two rodeos in Ottumwa in 68 the arena was set up in a field west of the Bluebird Bus factory. Most of the shows in those days were in portable arena's at county fairs.
  A bunch of us used to rent a farmhouse every summer from Alvin Curry just south of Milan, Ill. We worked construction during the week and rodeoed on the weekends. I wish I still had all those scrap books and pix from back then. I had all that stuff and more in my truck camper and some bastage stole my rig and set it afire.
:shock: That lowlife that did that to you should be dragged behing a horse, Pegleg!  :tickedoff  :knuppel2  :buck2
Heck, you was close to here, Burlington. I was in Milan and the Cities running bread and pastry routes in some of the 70's. Got some inlaws around there, too. You must have been right off Hwy 92 or there abouts. Or, off US 67?

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2007, 10:29:07 AM »
Pegleg, I'm young and stupid. I'm gunna lay 260$ on the line next year and get my gator hunting permit and rope some nippers. You know you can't shoot the gators in Fl, you gotta gig them first, then shoot them(don't ask me, I didn't write the law). So, any suggestions for holding onto a 13' gator in a 12' jon boat? You seem to have some experience O0

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2007, 02:31:16 PM »
Pegleg, I'm young and stupid. I'm gunna lay 260$ on the line next year and get my gator hunting permit and rope some nippers. You know you can't shoot the gators in Fl, you gotta gig them first, then shoot them(don't ask me, I didn't write the law). So, any suggestions for holding onto a 13' gator in a 12' jon boat? You seem to have some experience O0
Easy. All you need is a chainsaw.   :twisted: :buck2

Offline Pegleg

• Rookie Club Member
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
John, I don't remember the numbers of the back roads to the farm we rented but just south of Milan on rt.67 "Dale's Basement Bar" was up on the hill on the west side of the road. That was our headquarters in those days. Ask there for directions to Alvin Curry's place and tell him Glenn Sampson said hey.
  Tenderfoot, you need to check on the hunt requirments before you pays the money. I think you have to attend some gator huntin classes before they'll let you hunt without a guide. I'll send you a PM about the subject since some of my adventures are not past the statute of limitations yet. lol
                                                                 Pegleg
"Kinky is using a feather." "Perverted is using the whole chicken."

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2007, 01:57:01 PM »
Pegleg, as of this year, the gator roping course was "highly recomended", but not required. I would probably take it for the fun of it just to meet some new guys and learn how you're "supposed" to do it. Then there is something like an "assistant trapper" permit that lets you hunt with him but only bag the two gators on his tag. Etc etc. I haven't looked to far into it yet, but I am going to read up on it and try to find me a kevlar suite. :D

Offline hoskins

• When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2008, 02:26:28 AM »
 ;D that's one of the funniest stories I've heard in a long time! great post  O0

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2008, 12:48:51 PM »
Whats even funnier tenderfeet wants a kevlar suite...not a suit but a suite  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Facebook Comments